Spring / Summer April 2018 and onwards deployment(s)

Acts as an interface between the other forums here. Used to coordinate overall direction of the project.
hamishmb

Re: Spring / Summer April 2018 and onwards deployment(s)

Post by hamishmb »

Looks interesting, perhaps we did collect a lot of water even with the gutter out of action.

Yeah, that's the same issue I had. I can create the charts, but when I try to open a saved document with a chart in it, the chart doesn't load. I think it may be the dots in the filenames that are causing this, but I'll have to have a look.

Hamish
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I have identified the issue with the chart: the filenames had a full stop in them, and this was confusing libreoffice when opening charts. Removing the full stop fixes this.

Attached are some more charts that are displayable. Confirmed: they work on my laptop as well.

To fix this issue I will change the filename format to remove the full stops - we don't need microsecond accuracy anyway :). I'll also file this bug so the Libreoffice team are aware of it.

By the way Terry, Kst looks great, but I'd have to spend hours learning how to use it, and it also doesn't like our readings files for some reason (doesn't find all columns), so I'll stick with Libreoffice charts now they are working. Great-looking program though.

Hamish
Attachments
rivercontrolsystem-status-2018-07-19 ownards-fixed-charts.tar.gz
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
Last edited by hamishmb on 01/08/2018, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Good progress made today :)

We put floats beneath the sump and butts probes to stop them getting stuck - they were becoming non-buoyant due to the plastic absorbing water.
We also dumped a load of concrete on the leak by the sump - Penri and I are pretty sure it's coming from the blue pipe where it comes out of the ground, so perhaps a pinprick leak.

We also noted the need to be able to see/request immediate readings from the probes, so we can check all the level sensors are working - added to my list. I guess this would take the form of a very rudimentary interface for now, seeing as we don't have the web GUI yet.

NB: Do we still want to go ahead with the mesh around the probes, or shall we wait and see how well the buoyancy aids work?

Hamish
Last edited by hamishmb on 02/08/2018, 13:41, edited 2 times in total.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

On second thoughts, I'll just stick it into the logs immediately when the level changes with the edge detection, it's silly to expend effort making a CLI only to throw it away when we make the web GUI.

This will result in large log files, but that's okay. It may also help us identify faults with the probes/interface boards if they begin to do something weird like "flicker" rapidly between levels, unlikely as it is.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

I checked the area around where the blue pipe emerges from the ground before I left.

The area the other side of the "dam" had no standing water in it, there was standing water earlier, so that looked good.

There was some water on the blue pipe side of the dam, not much, but as long as it runs away into the sump we'll be ok.

We will need to keep and eye on what happens.

Adding the floatation collars to the floats has made them very buoyant. it's not beyond the realms of possibility that something could lodge between the pipe and float thus jamming them but I think we're safe in putting the mash idea on hold for the present an see if any stickiness issues re-occur.

Hwyl

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Good news! Sounds like a plan.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I came in to WMT briefly this afternoon to investigate a minor software confusion I had on Tuesday - nothing that was affecting the system.

All was fine, and our software has been updated again. I also took the readings and logs, see the attached file. I haven't made any charts this time, but there will be some next time.

Greg said that the water loss issue has reduced dramatically since Thursday, despite the heat, so we may have fixed the worst part of the issue with the concreting.

Hamish
Attachments
river_system_status-2018-08-03.tar.gz
(154.78 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

interesting!
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hamish

We appear to have lost the 300mm level from the sump probe and the low water level oscillation is now between 200 and 400 not the usual 200 and 300.

This new behaviour seems to have started on Tuesday the 31st, any idea what's caused this change?

Hwyl

Penri