Spring / Summer April 2018 and onwards deployment(s)

Acts as an interface between the other forums here. Used to coordinate overall direction of the project.
hamishmb

Re: Spring / Summer April 2018 and onwards deployment(s)

Post by hamishmb »

What's the plan for tomorrow? I have updated our software (see the software section) and intend to update the pis tomorrow, but what else will need doing?
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hamish

Clean river of whatever has been washed into it by the weekend's rainfall.
Add more quick drying cement to the area near the sump to persuade the water that gathers there to run into the sump.
Investigate leaking gutter on Lady Hanham building and repair.
Help Terry with the antenna trial.
Carry on plumbing the barrels behind the Wendy Street stage.
Prepare the area behind the Wendy house for connection of the Wendy Steel stage barrels.

Hwyl

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, coming in sounds like a good idea, but I just now got a shift from 7-11 AM tomorrow - shall I come in after until 1 PM or so, or on Thursday?

Sorry!

Hamish
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hamish

It's up to you of course but Thursday would probably be best.

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Attached are the latest results. Note there are more files - the logs rotated as a week passed.

Notes:
  • At several points the level in the sump jumps from 300mm straight to eg 800mm.
  • ^ This suggests the probe is getting stuck / an interfacing issue (more likely the former I think).
  • Could we flip the floats back the other way up?
  • Could we make a mesh to go around the probes like we discussed briefly before?
  • This might be why we didn't catch much water when it rained.
  • Note the butts level stuck at 100mm - I know this reading isn't true, so I think that probe may have gotten stuck as well.
Not great news, but there are potential solutions. If I manage to come in on Thursday, can we try some of these Penri?

Hamish
Attachments
rivercontrolsystem-status-2018-07-19 ownards.tar.gz
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 81 times
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello

I agree the floats don't appear to be floating that well, suggest we investigate the butts float first to see why it's not moving. Having said that I only saw one jump form 200 to 600 by the sump float, as noted below.

I've looked at the sump spreadsheet for 28th (annotated copy attached) when is rained a bit and can see the float bobbing rhythmically between 200 to 300 after being given a kick by me at around 08:38.
This pattern continues until around 06:58 on the 29th (Sunday) when the level builds to 600 and then oscillates rhythmically between 600 and 400 until 14:44 on the 30th (Monday).
I'm assuming that this oscillation would be the butts pump routing water to the Wendy House butts, I counted 48 returns to 600 which should have put a fair bit of water into the butts (but of course the valve was partly open so was flowing back too). 200mm of sump depth equates to 112l, so the butts pump potentially pushed 48*112l into the butts that's over 5000l.
Some of that, of course, would be re-circulating the water after the rain stopped but you can see when the heaviest bursts of rain are from examining how long the sump takes to get from 400 to 600 during that period.

Hamish - where can I see if the float switch was actuated telling us the butts were full?

Although I was surprised and disappointed that there was no water in the Wendy House butts this morning the evidence from the spreadsheet tells us that the system captured rainwater and then used it.

Happy to try mesh if you can source something suitable and try flipping floats.

Hwyl

Penri
Attachments
Sump analysis to 31Jul18.ods
(57.76 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hi,

Generally, the logic there seems sound. If you look in the G4:FS0 files, a value of true indicates that the float switch triggered - butts full. I only had a quick look, but it seems as though it never did. I thought I saw more than that, maybe in the older sump readings, but I'm having trouble loading my own chart for some bizarre reason.

I guess we have a fairly bad leak on our hands for it to all vanish that quickly - It wasn't really hot for a while after it rained, so I'd expect the water to have lasted a bit longer than that :/

We don't have any mesh-like things at my house to use, can you remember if we have any of the green mesh we used for the butts' lids left? If not, we can probably find something in the workshop or polytunnel I would guess. I could also have a look online to try and find something.

Hamish
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Turns out none of my charts in the .ODS files are usable due to what looks like a bug in Libreoffice. Has anyone else not been able to load the chart data?

I may have a look at Kst now like Terry suggested.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hamish

The file(s) when loaded state "This file contains links to other files. Should they be updated?", this "other file" appears to be used by the chart to provide its range and data series, so the chart data does not appear in the chart frame.
I drew a new version of your chart using the data from the opened file and it worked fine.

Since my last post I've been doing some more analysis to try to understand what the data may be telling us, notwithstanding the fact that there are ongoing leaks. I've further annotate and updated the attached spreadsheet.

Hwyl

Penri
Attachments
Sump analysis to 31Jul18 v02.ods
(65.45 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Penri

Post by Penri »

Progress today again tasks listed last night:

Clean river of whatever has been washed into it by the weekend's rainfall. - Done but forever ongoing
Add more quick drying cement to the area near the sump to persuade the water that gathers there to run into the sump.
Investigate leaking gutter on Lady Hanham building and repair. - Done
Help Terry with the antenna trial. - Progress made
Carry on plumbing the barrels behind the Wendy Street stage. - Progress made
Prepare the area behind the Wendy house for connection of the Wendy Steel stage barrels.

Hwyl

Penri