Requirements for Sensors

Holds discussions about the requirements for Wimborne Model Town's River system.

Relevant documents are available at https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... quirements
TerryJC

Requirements for Sensors

Post by TerryJC »

Attached to this posting is the first draft of the Statement of Requirements for Sensors. It is by no means certain that any of the Canford students will pick this up, but I think we probably need it anyway to ensure we know where the goalposts are when we design any future sensors.

Please provide your usual incisive feedback :D
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Sensor_Reqs_Iss_0.1.odt
(444.97 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Terry
Penri

Re: Requirements for Sensors

Post by Penri »

Hello all

Thank you for this second requirement Terry I've made some comments and suggestions as tracked changes in the attached

I don't have the missing sizes to hand so we can check these net week.

Hwyl

Penri
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Sensor_Reqs_Iss_0.2.odt
(447.83 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. No new comments were received over Christmas, so I have up-issued this document to include everything up to and including the changes agreed verbally at the WMT on the 19th Dec.

Please check what I have done and propose any further changes so that we can publish before the students return in the New year.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Sensor_Reqs_Iss_0.3.odt
(446.31 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello All

Good work on all three Terry, a small number of amendments on this one.

Hwyl

Penri
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Sensor_Reqs_Iss_0.4.odt
(449.8 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

Two comments:
  • You've spelt 'governed' wrong in Note 2 of 4.2.
  • You've attributed the changes to 'SPJ'. :D
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Thanks, do you have a "blank" design document or some guidance that the lads could use to start capturing their thoughts?

I have a family issue to deal with now, I'll get back to this later.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

I was going to give them a copy of the overall (Work in Progress) Design Document at http://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org/ ... p?f=5&t=63.

It is relevant to what they are doing and an example, (no matter how incomplete), is always better than a document full of blank tables and irrelevant 'filler text'.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello again

OK I've put together a covering e-mail to accompany the req.docs. and Guideline, it's attached herewith.

Please review, comment and amend as you see fit. You will see that I have introduced an induction process (not too heavy just covering need to knows) and suggested preparation activity, I'd like you thoughts on those (too much, too little, bad idea, whatever) and anything I've missed.

Thank you.

Penri
Attachments
Project initiation e-mail.odt
(23.43 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

Your draft email seems pretty comprehensive to me. I haven't got any other topics to add in the area where you put put your Question Mark, however, I would suggest the bullet:
  • Introduction to on-line Forum
Is supplemented by adding:
  • Introduction to on-line Forum - Working on engineering projects as part of a team.
The idea being that the whole thing is a team effort and the Forums are our vehicle for sharing ideas, commentary and plans.

Obviously those thoughts are part and parcel of every engineering project, but it would be useful, I think, to make it clear from the outset that the students won't be on their own.
Last edited by TerryJC on 28/12/2017, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Oh BTW; when do you intend to share the Design Spec example?
Terry