Suggested System Configuration

Holds discussions about Wimborne Model Town's River System Design and any relevant drawings.

Relevant documents are available at https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... les/Design
Penri

Re: Suggested System Configuration

Post by Penri »

Terry

Thank you for putting this together, I need to spend a little more time thinking through the diagram.

On the notes front:
In note 2 of the Development Order section we'll need to make changes to the equipment box, interface board and software in the Green Box, did we call is the Sump control I can't remember?
In note 6 of the Development Approach I propose to get the concrete base(s) done when the weather is suitable and I can get some knowledgeable help in to make it all straight and level.

Hwyl

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Ok. I'll not update the diagram or the text until we're all happy.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

I think the diagram is as it should be, thank you.

Hwyl

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

All,

Picking up on Penri's comments made a week or so ago, I have updated the Development Order to reflect them and also to remove things that have now been done.

I have also produced a new draft of the Overall System Configuration drawing on the grounds that it didn't show all of the system. Notably the Sump and it's associated components were left out.

Development Order
  1. Modify the Sump Pi Equipment Box, Interfaces Board and software in the Green Box to include the SSR for the main circulation pump. This will involve replacing the current single SSR Module with a double one.
  2. Modify the Wendy Street Interfaces Board and the Butts Pi software to cater for the Butts Farm Pump and the Wendy Street and Stage Butts Farms Gate Valves. (Penri would like to implement the Stage Butts Farm before the Railway Butts Farm, because it is relatively easy to do needing only the pipework to be laid and two valves to be added. This is because the Railway Room Butts Farm will need the extensive work listed below.)
  3. Depending on time constraints, it might be sensible to place butts into the Gazebo Butts Farm and put in a simple manual Ball Valve.
  4. Once the WMT has shut down for the Winter Maintenance period, a concrete base for the Railway Room Butts Farm will be laid and the additional Pi / Interfaces Board installed (some implementation of the electronics can go on off-line). The Pipe work will be completed.
  5. Add the Flow Monitor (the Water Wheel) electronics and update the Sump Pi software to cater for it.
  6. Add PWM Control of the Main Circulation Pump under the control of Sump Pi.
Development Approach for the Stage Butts Farm
  1. The platform for the Stage butts is higher than the pipework for the Wendy Street Butts Farm, so gravity can be utilised initially, as we have done for the existing butts so far. This will allow water to be drained into the sump as required, but not from the Wendy Street butts to the Stage butts.
  2. Add the main butts pump and valves V6, V7, V8, V9. This will allow water to be pumped in both directions (as was originally envisaged for the Railway Room Butts Farm). This will require further modifications to the Wendy Street Pi software and Interfaces Board.
Attachments
Overall_System_Configuration_V05.odg
(46.55 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Good work Terry, looks really nice and clear - tricky to do with such a complex design.

I thought we wanted to get the Railway Room butts done sooner than that, did I miss/forget some discussion?

Hamish
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 08/04/2018, 21:00 I thought we wanted to get the Railway Room butts done sooner than that, did I miss/forget some discussion?
This comes from a conversation Penri and I had on the Tuesday of the week that you were on holiday. Laying a concrete plinth at the side of the Railway Room is quite disruptive, so Penri wants to put it off until the Winter Maintenance Period.

The thinking is that if we get the Stage Butts Farm working, we will have doubled the storage capacity. If we then get the Gate Valves working with the Wendy Street and Stage Butts, we will be much more efficient at managing water. If we then get the Wendy Farm Pump and the Main Circulation Pump under Pi control, then we will probably see another step change in efficiency. Adding the last Butts Farm by the Railway Room will simply add capacity rather than management efficiency.

As mentioned, the Gazebo Butts Farm and Pi can be added this Summer if we run out of things to do :lol:
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I see, that makes a lot of sense to me.

We should probably stick this in the Meeting discussion forum - so we don't forget :)

Hamish
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 09/04/2018, 15:02We should probably stick this in the Meeting discussion forum - so we don't forget :)
I don't think we'll forget :P

In any case, as with all Plans, we can change the order of development if circumstances change.
Terry