Autumn/Winter November and onwards 2017 deployment(s)

Acts as an interface between the other forums here. Used to coordinate overall direction of the project.
TerryJC

Re: Autumn/Winter November and onwards 2017 deployment(s)

Post by TerryJC »

Not really. I can't remember how we shut the Pis down before removing the power. Maybe we did it in the wrong order.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I think the order shouldn't matter. Shall we just wait and see if it happens again then? I can note this in a different topic for later reference.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

On a slightly different topic. If you are able to test the Ethernet link to Butts Pi tomorrow morning, can I suggest that you do it from the Green box to the output of the splitter (Ie, where we reseated the USB Adaptor yesterday), rather than just to the end of the cable.

The suspect area is the connector that goes into the splitter, so this would include that connection
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Green box?

Sure, I'll bring cable(s) for that last bit then. Good idea.
Last edited by hamishmb on 22/11/2017, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Oh right, by the sump :P
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Good news :)

Cables test out fine. I realised that the silicon cover we were using to wedge the cable in at the sump end had snapped off. With a bit of insulation tape jammed in there, it works just fine. So, after re-wiring the float switch back in, everything is working :)

I've left the control system running as usual, and can confirm that the magnetic probe is working and we are getting and recording levels from it :)

For the moment, nobody touch, breath on, or even look in the general direction of that cable XD

Note: The water in the butts is fairly unpleasant at the moment, we might need to think some more about filtration.
Hamish
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

That's good news (not the dirty water).

I would still like to test the wiring that I did on Butts Pi, so next Tuesday perhaps we could lift the Butts Mag probe and check each level. Would it be possible to install a cut-down version of the software that we can run over SSH to check each level?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I would still like to test the wiring that I did on Butts Pi, so next Tuesday perhaps we could lift the Butts Mag probe and check each level.
Sure, might as well. I know that at least the 400mm one is working.
Would it be possible to install a cut-down version of the software that we can run over SSH to check each level?
Probably, but why would we want to? Seeing as the probe is, as Penri put it, just for decoration, we can use the normal software and tail the logs on buttspi/sumppi with:

Code: Select all

cd rivercontrolsystem-master
tail -f -n 5 <file>
And that shall be fine :)
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Note: By that point my laptop's new charger may have come, so assuming the charger was the problem I'll bring it in.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote:
Probably, but why would we want to? Seeing as the probe is, as Penri put it, just for decoration, we can use the normal software and tail the logs on buttspi/sumppi with:

Code: Select all

cd rivercontrolsystem-master
tail -f -n 5 <file>
And that shall be fine :)
Yes. I see what you mean.
Terry