Winter Maintenance 2017/18 - Removal of the Equipment Case and Electronics

Discussion forum about Wimborne Model Town's Minster Bells System.
TerryJC

Winter Maintenance 2017/18 - Removal of the Equipment Case and Electronics

Post by TerryJC »

This morning I removed the equipment case and electronics from the Minster with a view to solving the niggling things that have occurred since installation in April. In summary, these are:
  1. Intermittent audio to the Nave (not the chancel as I previously erroneously called it).
  2. Music also playing from the tower.
  3. Persistent 'clicking' noise on top of the music which because of 2 above can also be heard from the tower.
The first thing that I noticed when I entered the Minster was that the music was starting and then restarting after a very short time. We had this back in April and I diagnosed overheating at the time and fitted the fan, which appeared to cure the problem. When I got the box home and powered it up (without speakers at this time), I noticed that the fan was making a very strange 'burring' noise (which as it happens is amplified by the baseboard that it is tie-wrapped to). The speed of the fan seems very low and varies in time with the burring. It appears that the fan has only just lasted a season before the bearing has failed, so we probably need to replace it with a better one.

I brought the Nave speaker from the Minster, but couldn't bring the QuarterJack speakers, because the WMT are hosting a Wake on 17th November for a one of the original volunteers and want the system to be working again by then.

I'll do what I can and re-install in time for the Wake. Anything I've been unable to sort will have to wait until we can removed the Quarter Jack later in November.
Terry
TerryJC

Re: Winter Maintenance 2017/18 - Removal of the Equipment Case and Electronics

Post by TerryJC »

A quick situation report. I have a new fan which will be fitted before I bring the kit back.

I also noticed a bug which prevents the MP3 player from looping round the Playlists and instead it loops the same playlist over and over again. I spent some time looking at this , but have come up against some issues caused by the fact that we took a decision (sometime last winter) to use Linux's own multi-tasking by utilising subprocess.Popen() to launch the MP3 Player (mpg321) instead of using Python multi-tasking. This has made it difficult to get the MP3 player, the bells, the chimes and the Wedding sequence working as well as the Playlist looping.

As a result, I have currently restored the code to the version that I deployed in April. It has worked fine all summer and if another Playlist is required, it can be obtained by flicking the 'MP3 Player' switch downwards. I'm not sure if it is worth the effort to get the full set of Playlists cycling, because this bug has been there all summer and no-one noticed! Arguably, it is not a bug; it's just the way that the player works!

Anyway, I'll be re-installing the system into the Minster next Tuesday, so that it is working on the 17th, when the old volunteer's wake is being held at the WMT. After that, I'll take it out again and we can decide if it's worth trying to get it working as originally designed.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

This message is to bring things up to date.

Anyway, I re-installed the system on Tuesday the 14th for the Wake and found that the noise and cross-talk that had started sometime in August was still present, but now it was much worse :x After discussion with Stuart, I left it as it was and went back to remove the complete system this morning. I now have all of the components at home; the electronics box, the Nave speaker, the Quarter Jack and Tower speaker. the power adaptors and bricks and all the cables in between.

Since all of the current team were there this morning, you know that we couldn't pull the cable through from the tower because the hole was too small. As a result, I cut the wires inside the XLR connector. While I was there, I suggested that we should open up the hole to avoid having to do that when we put it back or take it out in the future. I said that i had a very long masonry bit that would be long enough to go through the two layers of concrete in the Tower.

Unfortunately I can't find my extra-long masonry bit :oops: I've even spent half the afternoon cleaning out garage, but I can't find it anywhere. The OD of the XLR connector is 18.95 mm, so we need a bit with minimum of 20 mm diameter to even hope that we will be able to get the connector through. Even then, we would need to ensure that the string that we would have to feed up through the two holes would have to exert an extremely straight pull on the XLR if it isn't going to foul on the way through.

Does anyone have a large diameter masonry bit?

Apart from that, I'll put the system back together tomorrow in my spare room and report back on the status of the noise.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I just completed assembly of the complete system in my bedroom / workshop here. The 'hum' is very noticeable but less so when I use a different PSU brick. Presumably the new PSUs that I bought back in August are noisier than the one that failed and I either didn't notice when I installed it, or the noise has got worse since then.

The cross-talk between the Nave and the Tower speakers when the music is playing is identical with both PSUs, so I need to look into that further, I'll need a scope to do much more than prod around though.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Sitrep:

After some testing with Penri's scope, I've established that:
  1. The new PSU bricks that I bought in August are very noisy.
  2. The new fan that I bought at the end of October (after I discovered that the old cheapo I bought from eBay had failed) is creating noise that can clearly be heard to 'run-up' and down on the Tower speakers when the power is connected and removed.
  3. Lower hum seems to reduce the cross-talk, but not a lot.
  4. There was a return line that had dropped off from the Tower I/P. When I reconnected it both noise and cross-talk was reduced, but it is still there.
I have developed a small filter circuit which does reduce the noise considerably, but not as much as I thought it should. I have also discovered that there is no noise in the tower speakers if I plug the audio input into a USB Audio adaptor instead of straight into the Pi Audio O/P connector. This is a bit of a bummer really, because we originally switched from a Pi Zero to a Pi 3, so that we could use the Audio O/P when we found that the USB/Audio Adaptors that I'd bought all had the same ID strings and so couldn't be used reliably because there was no way to know which O/P was which.

Between now and Spring therefore I am going to try to reduce the noise from the PSU and fan still further and also try to find a USB/Audio Adaptor with a different ID to the ones we have at the moment. Since last Winter, when the current adaptors were purchased, a new type has become available, so I've ordered a couple (at two for 99p). I have no way of knowing if these will have different IDs to the earlier ones, but at that price it's worth a try.

Also at that price they are inevitably coming from China, so won't be here until the new year.
Last edited by TerryJC on 10/12/2017, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

For reference, I've uploaded the circuit of the filter circuit I used and the Datasheet of the Ferrite Bead inductor.

All the components were to hand, so most changes would require procurement.
Attachments
12V_PSU_Filter_Circuit_V0.1.odg
(15.28 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
28C0236-0JW-10_LAIRD_TECHNOLOGIES.pdf
(178.46 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I've added a screen capture of the waveforms at the input and output of the filter (CH1 I/P). Measurements wise, these don't quite stack up with my initial observations, but they were done singly using CH1 only whereas these are taken together as you can see.
Attachments
12V_PSU_Waveforms.JPG
12V_PSU_Waveforms.JPG (245.24 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Fist two questions:

Is there a load on the output of the filter?
Is the negative rail earthed? if not I suggest running a wire, the bigger the better, to earth on your domestic mains. The scope probe croc clip should be adequate although I've next checked it myself.

From the look of the output trace the noise is spiky, high frequency stuff, unless there's a low frequency component that can't be seen at this timebase setting, and well outside what the human ear can detect.

I'm trying to cast my mind back to what we heard from the bell tower speaker when in-situ, I think is was higher in pitch than 50Hz mains hum but still something I could hear and not too shrill, so sub 1kHz perhaps.

Can you see any noise, probably sinusoidal in nature, on the output of the amplifier?

I have an app on my phone called VisualAudio that uses the phone's microphone as an input device and gives you various display option, including a power spectrum graph, of what it "hears". Can you download such a thing onto your phone and see what the sound spectrum coming out of the speaker is? I've only recently downloaded if so wasn't available when we were listening to the noise. If you can get such a thing it may give us a clue of what the offending frequency(s) is/are.

By the way there's nothing wrong with the circuit, as far as I can see, my only comments are that the 220uF cap is probably overkill and properly earthing the negative rails is important.

Hwyl

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri wrote:Is there a load on the output of the filter?
It is connected to the Audio Amplifiers.
Penri wrote:Is the negative rail earthed? if not I suggest running a wire, the bigger the better, to earth on your domestic mains. The scope probe croc clip should be adequate although I've next checked it myself.
As installed, it is not earthed to anything because we aren't bringing mains into the case. We did have the grounds terminating at a central earth point on the case, but that was a nuisance from a maintainability viewpoint and appeared to make no difference to the noise levels (which were fairly low anyway back in April).

The scope does provide a good earth and I just tried grounding the 12 V DC -ve pin; unfortunately, this made the hum louder (but only slightly).
Penri wrote:From the look of the output trace the noise is spiky, high frequency stuff, unless there's a low frequency component that can't be seen at this timebase setting, and well outside what the human ear can detect.
Yes. It's in the kHz / MHz regions, although the spike repetition frequency is a bit lower.
Penri wrote:I'm trying to cast my mind back to what we heard from the bell tower speaker when in-situ, I think is was higher in pitch than 50Hz mains hum but still something I could hear and not too shrill, so sub 1kHz perhaps.

Can you see any noise, probably sinusoidal in nature, on the output of the amplifier?

I have an app on my phone called VisualAudio that uses the phone's microphone as an input device and gives you various display option, including a power spectrum graph, of what it "hears". Can you download such a thing onto your phone and see what the sound spectrum coming out of the speaker is? I've only recently downloaded if so wasn't available when we were listening to the noise. If you can get such a thing it may give us a clue of what the offending frequency(s) is/are.
I've installed an App from the Android Play Store called Spectroid (see Screenshot). This was taken with the Pi unpowered (no music), but it sounds exactly the same if the Pi is running with the music off. There's quite a lot mush from around 50 Hz up, but the peak is consistently a bit higher.

The O/P from the amplifier looks pretty identical to the input (and the rails).

On the trace, the red line appears to be the spectrum at start up; the yellow trace is the one that moves. The 1031 Hz peak is misleading, I've seen it as low as 700 Hz and as high as 3000 Hz; it just corresponds to the current peak. The one thing that I haven't been able to see anywhere is a larger spectral line that corresponds directly to the hum.
Penri wrote:By the way there's nothing wrong with the circuit, as far as I can see, my only comments are that the 220uF cap is probably overkill and properly earthing the negative rails is important.
OK. Unfortunately, the earthing seems to set up a hum loop, part of which I think is through the Pi.
Attachments
Screenshot_20171211-154633.png
Screenshot_20171211-154633.png (516.88 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

I overlooked the need to subscribe to the forum so missed your reply, am looking at it now.

Hwyl

Penri