System Software Design

Holds discussions about Wimborne Model Town's River System Design and any relevant drawings.

Relevant documents are available at https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... les/Design
TerryJC

Re: System Software Design

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 21/08/2020, 19:02Note: We need to update the software design spec again to add:
  • New IDs for gate valve pis (eg VALVE4 instead of V4).
  • ^ And corresponding detail for the ID for the gate valve itself (still eg V4 or V6).
  • New notes from config.py docstring (perhaps that docstring should just link to this document?)
Hamish can you clarify? The results are currently still calling the Valves V1, etc and that is presumably because the config.py files deployed still lag behind the latest versions in GitLab.

So how do you want to represent this in the Software Design Spec? Currently the ID is in the column labelled Device Name. Would you like the full ID, as it appears in Config.py, to be in that column or is it sufficient to put an additional Note to cover this?

With the docstring request. wouldn't the reference have to be in this document, so future maintainers are aware that it is there? Or perhaps both?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yeah, it was changed in the newer code that uses the NAS box that we'll deploy next week.

I'd probably change it to look the same way as the other ones, eg G4 and SUMP.

Yeah actually, it'd probably be better to point to the notes in config.py rather than the other way around - I'm more likely to remember to update those notes.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 22/08/2020, 15:26I'd probably change it to look the same way as the other ones, eg G4 and SUMP.
Sorry. I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you think that the full Device IDs should be in the Device Name column, with the Note to explain it, or do you think that we carry on with the sparse Name 'V4', with the Note to explain it? Or something else?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Something else I think, but it might be easier for me to just post a draft here next week - I'll do that, and then we can refine it as needed.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Attached is my edit of the software design spec. Track changes was on this time.

Changes:
  • Add more detail and updated device names for gate valves.
  • Link to config.py for more software notes.
This document still seems to be based on the Sump Pi-centric architecture so it might need more updates later on.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Software_Design_Iss_0.10_HamishMB.odt
(171.55 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Thanks Hamish,

Latest Version uploaded to https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... les/Design.

The only change that I made was to give your new note about config.py a formal title of 'Note:' to be in keeping with the rest of the document.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Oh darn, I just realised I didn't update the site ID of all the gate valves. New document attached with these changes. Sorry about this.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Software_Design_Iss_0.10_HamishMB.odt
(170.54 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

File copy replaced.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I wasn't sure where to put this query because we don't actual have a Forum to cover site-wide discussions.

Now that we have a working VPN Server there is a lot more enthusiasm for bringing other devices onto the network. The problem is that the network will become less and less the 'River System Network' and more like the 'WMT Network'. Since we started the River System Project there have been several Projects that are candidates for inclusion into the site-wide network.

So I have a proposal which might involve the following:
  1. Creation of a new Forum 'WMT Site-wide Projects'. This could include work on infrastructure and new ideas that don't necessarily include Raspberry Pis or networking. The first Topic would be 'The WMT Network'.
  2. Within the WMT Network Forum, the creation of a Topic to cover the development of a new design document to fully specify and document the existing and proposed network. This would consist of a Design Spec based on the River System Software Design Spec and include Table 2 from that document and also a System Diagram based on selected sheets from the River System Overall System Configuration. The River System Software Design Spec would then replace Table 2 with a reference to this new spec.
  3. Devices for inclusion in the WMT Network would comprise of:
    1. All existing and proposed River System devices.
    2. The WMT Webserver.
    3. The VPN Server.
    4. All existing and proposed Railway Room devices apart from the Lighting Controller, which has worked now for over four years without any need to adjust it.
    5. Any existing devices such as the Minster Bells and MP3 Player.
    6. Any proposed devices such as the Tiny-TVs.
Any thoughts, ideas, objections?
Terry