System Software Design

Holds discussions about Wimborne Model Town's River System Design and any relevant drawings.

Relevant documents are available at https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... les/Design
hamishmb

Re: System Software Design

Post by hamishmb »

Noted - I shall change that so we can upload them.

Do I just include these as images in the libreoffice document? I'm about to make some changes, so I'm going to accept all the changes thus far seeing as this has been sat here for a while without changing.

How shall we link to the API docs? We could have a separate PDF, or EPUB, or you could host on your webserver and link to them.

Hamish
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I believe that that the Software Design Document should contain a high level description of what the software is doing and the detail should be in the auto-magically generated HTML files. The document should then refer out to these files (I think it does already).

The easiest way to show the high-level design in the document is to include these (updated) flowcharts and a brief description of what the software is trying to do and roughly how it's doing it.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I don't believe it did refer to the HTML docs, looking through, but it does now :)

I suppose that's in our detailed design section. Right, okay, I'll finish and upload the .dia files and the libreoffice doc in a sec
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote:I don't believe it did refer to the HTML docs, looking through, but it does now :)
My mistake. I recalled adding a reference out, but that was to the comments in the code, not your HTML docs.
hamishmb wrote:I suppose that's in our detailed design section. Right, okay, I'll finish and upload the .dia files and the libreoffice doc in a sec
Just the job. Thanks.
Terry
wmtprojectsforum
Amministratore

Post by wmtprojectsforum »

Files with .dia extensions can now be uploaded.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Here we go.

Attached are the .dia files, and the libreoffice doc.

Notes:
I got an error when opening the .dia files, but it doesn't seem to matter as far as I can tell, and I could still edit them.

I have removed the relevant sections of the document that duplicate the HTML docs, but I couldn't remove the headings or edit the table of contents.
Attachments
ButtsPi_Flowchart.dia
(4.33 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
SumpPi_Flowchart.dia
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
WMT_River_System_Software_Design_Iss_0.4.odt
(198.17 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote:Notes:
I got an error when opening the .dia files, but it doesn't seem to matter as far as I can tell, and I could still edit them.

I have removed the relevant sections of the document that duplicate the HTML docs, but I couldn't remove the headings or edit the table of contents.
I'm not sure why you got an error; both files opened fince for me.

I have accepted all of your changes in the document, deleted the superfluous Heading and updated the ToC (see attached V0.5).

(To update the ToC, right-click in the Table and choose 'Update index'.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Software_Design_Iss_0.5.odt
(187.12 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Excellent, and thanks :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Its been a while since I posted anything here and I note that the version of the document on the fileserver matches the one in the post of 22/11/17 above, although it was obviously uploaded much more recently than that. However, looking at my copies here, I've clearly added more than a few updates and increased the revision number several times. (I'm not sure why because the intermediate changes were not published.)

I've updated it again to reflect the naming conventions for the G3 Lady Hanham Butts Pi functionality, but it will obviously need further updates when the changes outlined in the Control Strategy Document have been implemented.

Anyway, I thought it about time that this was republished, so I will upload it to the file server shortly.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Note: We need to update the software design spec again to add:
  • New IDs for gate valve pis (eg VALVE4 instead of V4).
  • ^ And corresponding detail for the ID for the gate valve itself (still eg V4 or V6).
  • New notes from config.py docstring (perhaps that docstring should just link to this document?)
Hamish