The software for our small deployment is complete!

Used to announce major milestones for WMT projects.
hamishmb

Re: The software for our small deployment is complete!

Post by hamishmb »

Sounds like lots of progress :)

We might want a monitor and keyboard for initial setup anyway :)

As discussed elsewhere, the reading interval for the float switch monitor has been changed to 30 seconds to prevent overflowing in the water butts.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I fixed the issue we encountered earlier today:

I was being dumb and I hardcoded "localhost" as the server address in the standalone clients. Hence, it worked on my system, but not across 2 systems. My hub isn't compatible with the Pis, but I have ata least managed to test using my system and sumppi, but I couldn't do riverpi because of my hub. Would you like me to have a go at setting up the NTP server, too?

When shall we meet up again for another attempt?

Hamish
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

The new code can be downloaded from github, using a clone :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote:Would you like me to have a go at setting up the NTP server, too?
You can do it if you like, but I won't get the battery for the RTC until tomorrow or Thursday. I asked about stting up an NTP Server on the ModMyPi Forum and got a response see: https://forum.modmypi.com/networking-an ... html#p7376. I still have a couple of outstanding questions, but I'm sure they can be worked out if there are no better answers. We will also need to configure buttspi's NTP Client to look for time on the sumppi NTP server.
hamishmb wrote:When shall we meet up again for another attempt?
I still have some hardware to sort out on buttspi, so we can either get together to ensure that the two Pis are talking in the full configuration and ignore the float switch results, or I can come and collect the Pis and we meet up once everything is working; probably no earlier than Thursday, Friday or the Weekend.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, so current status is:
  • I have configured the NTP server software on sumppi and tested that it is working properly.
  • I have configured NTP client software on buttspi and tested that it is working properly.
  • Both Pis are now running the right version of the river system software.
  • Do _NOT_ update them from github, because I'm making some large changes that could potentially break something :)
  • Both Pis have been updated so all software is current.
  • Both Pis have had "apt-get autoremove" run on them to free up disk space.
  • I have installed and tested wiringpi on both systems.
  • Edit: both system are now backed up to my backup HDD too.
If there's anything else anyone would like me to do with the Pis, now's a good time to say :)

Unfortunately I am more ill that on Tuesday, so it's unlikely that I'll come in tomorrow, but we'll see :)

Hamish
Last edited by hamishmb on 16/08/2017, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

Well done! Get well soon!

I will need to get the two systems back again before we move on to the next step. For sumppi, I need to set up the RTC as soon as the battery arrives (hopefully tomorrow or Friday). For buttspi, I need to mount it on a new smaller baseboard and add the pull-up for the Float Switch I/P.

Then, when you are better, we should try to get together for another bench integration before installation and final integration.

So when would be a good time for me to collect the kit?

Clive,

Do we have a timescale on the case for sumppi?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

You can collect any time, really. We could just meet at the Willet Arms again. My concern would be not making you ill!

Sounds good though :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Can we tentatively say early tomorrow afternoon (you pick a time). I won't be able to do anything this evening and I have shopping tomorrow, so PM is probably about right.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

BTW. I meant to ask; have you set static IP addresses?
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I now have the battery for the RTC.
Terry