The software for our small deployment is complete!

Used to announce major milestones for WMT projects.
TerryJC

Re: The software for our small deployment is complete!

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

I'm afraid it doesn't look good for tomorrow morning. I've completed the assembly of the Interfaces Board and cut a baseboard ready to take the various boards and connectors. Unfortunately, at that moment my wife's Chromebook died (the battery is now so dead that it won't even work properly when it's permanently plugged in). It's taken me most of this afternoon to get her up and running on my Dell XPS-13 (I had issues with WiFi (the Router drops the connections when the machine is connected to it)) and I had to install some packages for her.

As a result, I think that the best that I can hope for is to complete the wiring tomorrow morning. I'll then need an hour or two to set up the network etc, so maybe tomorrow afternoon is possible, if you can do that. Otherwise, let me know your next 'Window'.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

That all sounds quite annoying!

Yeah that'd be fine :) I can pretty much do whenever as long as I have a day's notice, but weekends are best.

Hamish
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

Clearly by now you've realised that I'm not going to finish this in time for this afternoon :( I've had a lot less interruptions today, (my replacement Bells PSUs failed to appear so I had to source and order some more) but progress has still been much slower than I'd hoped. The wiring is a bit 'fiddly' and I've been having to constantly update the documentation as I realise that my original layout, routing or design isn't going to work or is perhaps not as optimal as I'd liked. I am now routing wires preparatory to soldering them and once I've done that properly, things should speed up.

Even so, I've still got to download and install the NTP server package and configure the network, so tomorrow afternoon may be possible. Sorry about the delay, but I want to get this right. Even when I've finished wiring the sumppi installation, I've still got to retrieve the riverpi and re-configure it to be the buttspi. Can you remember what Penri's Float Switch has on the end of the cable?

I phoned the WMT this morning and spoke to Nick about using the Lady Hanham Building for integration. If we can do it tomorrow, he has no problem, but on weekdays the room gets used a fair bit so we will have to talk to Greg on Monday, if we don't manage to sort it out tomorrow.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Sounds good :)

Umm, I can't remember but I'll go in and check if you want.

That's fine, we'll sort something out :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Don't bother to go in. I've got to go and fetch the Pi anyway.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay. Tomorrow afternoon is fine too by the way :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

I think we're going to have to take aim at Tuesday morning for getting the initial integration going. I've been having real problems getting the Wiring Schedule for the Resistance Probe right with confusion reigning over GPIO Board Numbers, GPIO Broadcom Numbers, Interfaces Board Pin Numbers, I/Ps, O/Ps, ribbon cable colours and anything else that I could get wrong. I'm sure it was much easier the last time I produced a Wiring Schedule. Of course when I was at work, there were less domestic distractions.

Anyway, I'm going to have to spend this afternoon finishing the wiring and collecting the kit from the WMT. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be sorting out the software/network (shopping Monday mornings). Whatever happens, I'll see you at WMT on Tuesday morning and we can review where we are and try to get the system up and running.

Clive, Are you able to come on Tuesday with your rain guard?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

That's fair enough :)

See you then,
Hamish
Hamish
CliveW

Post by CliveW »

Tuesday morning is OK, only got my scooter to collect from being MOT but can do that in afternoon.
All being well see you then.
Clive
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. There's some good news at long last. I'm reasonably sure that the Wiring Schedule is correct and I've wired in the Pi side of the Resistance Probe, the SSR O/P and teh RTC module. I've also been to the WMT and retrieved the kit so that I can do initial integration here.

I still have to do the D-Type wiring. That caused me a lot of grief last time, but I'm optimistic that I can do that tomorrow and set up the system because I've laid out the Interfaces Board to make wiring less confusing.

One piece of bad news; I hadn't realised it, but the battery for the RTC hasn't arrived (it should have been here by yesterday). I can buy one locally, but they are four times the price in Maplin and nearly ten times the price at Tesco. If all else fails we can go ahead without it and set the clock manually until the battery gets here. It will mean pulling the kit out again, or taking a monitor and keyboard to the WMT. The latter solution is dependent on the weather of course.

Taking my optimistic hat off for a moment, if something else goes wrong I think we should still meet up on Tuesday to discuss what we can do to progress things. I am hopeful however that I will be able to complete the work tomorrow.
Terry