The software for our small deployment is complete!

Used to announce major milestones for WMT projects.
hamishmb

The software for our small deployment is complete!

Post by hamishmb »

Hi,

The software for our small deployment is now ready. Barring any bugs that we find in any real-world tests that we do, it should be good to go now.

Hamish
Hamish
TerryJC

Re: The software for our small deployment is complete!

Post by TerryJC »

So I install float_switch_monitor_standalone.py on the buttspi and main.py on the sumppi?

I expect the sumppi hardware to be ready later today or sometime tomorrow. I've now received the remaining parts that I needed so I can get on with wiring. However, I'm still waiting for the replacement PSUs for the Bells system and I will have to break off to go down to install one at WMT if they arrive later today (as promised).

I will then need to retrieve the current riverpi installation (no readings for a while, but the probe will still be there and running) so that I can integrate the hardware and network system.

Are there any tests that I can perform on the system before I bring it all back for full integration?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

You need to clone the whole repository onto both systems, as the files depend on each other. Then you'd run those files on their respective Pis :)

There are, but they're complicated, and I think it would be better if we had a meeting at the model town, brought both Pis along, and set them up together, once the hardware is finished. There are a series of things I'd like to step through before we try to run everything :)

That way I can also fix any bugs we have immediately, so would it be okay to do it that way instead?

Hamish
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote:You need to clone the whole repository onto both systems, as the files depend on each other. Then you'd run those files on their respective Pis :)
OK. Will do. I will ensure that the buttspi runs float_switch_monitor_standalone.py and the sumppi runs main.py on startup.
hamishmb wrote:There are, but they're complicated, and I think it would be better if we had a meeting at the model town, brought both Pis along, and set them up together, once the hardware is finished. There are a series of things I'd like to step through before we try to run everything :)
OK. So where would you like to set it up? It could take some time to integrate and if it's raining....
hamishmb wrote:That way I can also fix any bugs we have immediately, so would it be okay to do it that way instead?
No problem. When will you be available to do the testing? Assuming that I finish the work today or early tomorrow, I'd be available anytime over the next few days except Monday morning.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I can, in theory, be available over the weekend, but I'll need to make sure there's nothing planned. Saturday in the morning would be best for me if possible, but it doesn't matter too much :)

If it's safe to leave the inputs floating for a bit, we could do some software and set-up testing inside before we connect everything up outside, which might help with the rain issue.

What I'm wondering is whether there's any space we can do it in at the model town. I might call to ask once we know what day we want to do it on.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote:I can, in theory, be available over the weekend, but I'll need to make sure there's nothing planned. Saturday in the morning would be best for me if possible, but it doesn't matter too much :)

If it's safe to leave the inputs floating for a bit, we could do some software and set-up testing inside before we connect everything up outside, which might help with the rain issue.
Floating inputs aren't a problem, we'll just get funny results and you might have to interpret the behaviour of your programs accordingly.
hamishmb wrote:What I'm wondering is whether there's any space we can do it in at the model town. I might call to ask once we know what day we want to do it on.
There is a very small table in the Model Railway building that could be used, but it is very cluttered usually. I wouldn't recommend it for any serious work of this nature, unless we thought it would only be for a few minutes (which I doubt).

A better idea might be to hijack the table in the far corner of the Lady Hanham Building for an hour or two. We have a mains supply right there and it will provide sufficient space to use. I'll ask when I go down to install the replacement PSU.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I've been doing the testing here with floating inputs, so it should be okay, I just wanted to check it wouldn't break any of your stuff.

Okay, sounds good, shall we try for Saturday?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

As I say, I'm hoping to complete the work today, but it may not be possible. If I can't then tomorrow afternoon might be the earliest that I can make it. Lets wait and see if I have any issues completing the build and setting up the software.
Terry
CliveW

Post by CliveW »

Butting in on your conversations, sorry.
I have made a temporary 'rain cover which needs to be fitted, problem is I'm not sure it's big enough and I don't want to move any of your equipment.
I've also made a 'shelf' to put into the river by the filters; it will raise the water level upstream but give us a flat run of water for the flow wheel. Will bring that as well.
I know this is not software but if your down, it will be a good time to try everything.
Awaiting conformation of time.
Clive
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

It's fine Clive :)

Sounds cool! Let's just wait for Terry to finish off and then talk about dates and times. No hurry Terry, it's done when it's done :)

Hamish
Hamish