Water Backup Integration Discussion

Acts as an interface between the other forums here. Used to coordinate overall direction of the project.
TerryJC

Water Backup Integration Discussion

Post by TerryJC »

I have set this Topic up to provide an area where AndrewM can post any queries and ideas as he progresses with this activity.

I wrote the Water Backup software just prior to lockdown but never had an opportunity to integrate it. At the time, the code was Peer Reviewed and tested by HamishMB, but I'm unsure how far he got. The code is yet to be installed on the system.
Terry
hamishmb

Re: Water Backup Integration Discussion

Post by hamishmb »

Just adding a note here to say that I found it to have mamy syntax errors when I tried running it, and it didn't follow the Python Style Guide, so I commented it out after Terry accidentally merged it into the main branch.

I never got as far as testing it, because it wasn't in a runnable state.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hi Hamish,

I didn't know that you were still monitoring this Forum.

For Andrew's benefit, what sort of issues did you find? Syntax can be checked out easily using pylint, but what was wrong from a Style Guide point of view?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hi Terry,

Mostly, I don't, but I got pinged about this new topic and thought it might be useful if I popped on. pylint reports style issues too, so there shouldn't be much need for me to go through those.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. Thanks.
Terry
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

"Water Backup Integration" - where is this please?
Am I looking for a directory with all relevant stuff in it or an archive or is it all there under a different label?

I've looked in the past for something relevant and due to lack of knowledge of the system (or possibly lack of access rights) not found it.

Is it hiding under a pseudonym or am I looking in the wrong place?
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Andrew,

There isn't actually a separate module for the water backup system. Instead, there are functions embedded into the base code.

However, having said that, Hamish mentioned earlier in this Topic that he had uncommitted my changes so I'm going to have to dig that code out from my local repository.

I won't have time to do that this evening, so I'll have to pick this up tomorrow.
Terry
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

Maybe it's something the logic of which is spread through various files and not lumped together under one banner.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Yes it is, but it was all commented at the time, so you should be able to find it once I've sorted it out.
Terry
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

TerryJC wrote: 16/04/2024, 17:24 Andrew,

There isn't actually a separate module for the water backup system. Instead, there are functions embedded into the base code.

.. which seemed a likely explanation when I thought about it as I couldn't find it in one place.
However, having said that, Hamish mentioned earlier in this Topic that he had uncommitted my changes so I'm going to have to dig that code out from my local repository.
That's why I couldn't see any of it!
I won't have time to do that this evening, so I'll have to pick this up tomorrow.
Understood, no rush. Thanks.