Documentation reorganisation

Acts as an interface between the other forums here. Used to coordinate overall direction of the project.
TerryJC

Re: Documentation reorganisation

Post by TerryJC »

I'm all for storing docs on GitLab, When I first started these developments, we didn't use git, let alone GitLab, so alternative solutions were used; initially by individual storage on home systems, then by posting to the Forums and finally by moving them to the files area. However, if we do put thm into GitLab, we should remove them from the Forum files space to avoid duplicates and the possibility of versions getting out of sync. We could transfer all of the docs and drawings needed for the build of a system, should that become necessary, and maybe keep the files area for supporting documentation, such as calculations and ideas, etc.

If you set up the structure, I'm happy to transfer the rest.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, sounds good. Shall I mirror the new GitLab repos to GitHub as well then for more visibility? Might be useful if we decide to try to use donation services to help pay for the occasional piece of hardware that needs repairing or upgrading. The likelihood of getting any donations is pretty low, mind.

Deleting the things from the fileserver means I'll have to go and update the links in the forum posts as well I guess, that'll take a while but I guess it's worth doing.

I guess some things should remain there, such as Penri's 3D printing models? This also has the advantage of savingn webserver space (we're almost out).
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 21/07/2022, 8:10Okay, sounds good. Shall I mirror the new GitLab repos to GitHub as well then for more visibility? Might be useful if we decide to try to use donation services to help pay for the occasional piece of hardware that needs repairing or upgrading. The likelihood of getting any donations is pretty low, mind.
I hadn't realised that we still had the GitHub Account. I wouldn't bother; it must be obvious that the project has ceased being maintained there and I doubt it would recruit anyone who is likely to donate.
hamishmb wrote: 21/07/2022, 8:10Deleting the things from the fileserver means I'll have to go and update the links in the forum posts as well I guess, that'll take a while but I guess it's worth doing.
In that case leave them there and make an all projects post in viewforum.php?f=11 to alert everyone to the change.
hamishmb wrote: 21/07/2022, 8:10I guess some things should remain there, such as Penri's 3D printing models? This also has the advantage of savingn webserver space (we're almost out).
Yes. That's the sort of thing I had in mind.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Seems fair.

Yes, making the all projects post is probably enough actually - that should be very prominent, especially if I make it sticky.

I'll post here again once I've made some headway.

EDIT: Just to clarify, we're saying Penri's stuff should stay on the webserver? Also means he can continue to use FTP to upload stuff easily.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 21/07/2022, 10:28EDIT: Just to clarify, we're saying Penri's stuff should stay on the webserver? Also means he can continue to use FTP to upload stuff easily.
Pretty much, I guess. There may be some other files that aren't really development files as such; simply sent out for illustration purposes or to support a point. I suggest we see how it turns out and mention them in the general post.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Sounds good to me.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, I have finished with the list. I'm glad I did this because we are missing quite a lot of files.

Before I try to scour the forums, could you see what you have in your archive Terry? If you find any of these things, maybe email them over to me so I can add them to the repo. Once this is all cleared up, I suggest we no longer store the river system files on the webserver and instead just use the git repository as it is simpler. I will add sticky posts to the forums and a note on the webserver if we go this route.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

Can you post the list, so I can see what is missing? Otherwise, I'll have to repeat what you have done.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Terry,

The list is in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=6033#p6033.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. It will take me a while. Give me a day or two.
Terry