Documentation reorganisation

Acts as an interface between the other forums here. Used to coordinate overall direction of the project.
hamishmb

Documentation reorganisation

Post by hamishmb »

Hi all,

After some deliberation, I have decided the best way to keep the documentation organised it to put it into a new repository on GitLab. Nothing has to move on the forum, and we can still post out drafts here, but I will add all future non-WIP versions to the repo. We have misplaced old versions of several things so this seems like a good idea,

If I find anything missing on the webserver that I can't locate, I will post here again asking for you all to check your archives for it. Failing that, I can dig through each forum webserver backup, but that will take an extremely long time.

I propose this also be done for the other WMT projects (if not already done). I am happy to organise that process as well. Thoughts?

I will post here again with status updates soon.
Hamish
TerryJC

Re: Documentation reorganisation

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 19/07/2022, 21:54After some deliberation, I have decided the best way to keep the documentation organised it to put it into a new repository on GitLab. Nothing has to move on the forum, and we can still post out drafts here, but I will add all future non-WIP versions to the repo. We have misplaced old versions of several things so this seems like a good idea,

If I find anything missing on the webserver that I can't locate, I will post here again asking for you all to check your archives for it. Failing that, I can dig through each forum webserver backup, but that will take an extremely long time.

I propose this also be done for the other WMT projects (if not already done). I am happy to organise that process as well. Thoughts?
This is not a bad idea. I do have copies of old documents that I have worked on, so filling in the blanks should be relatively straightforward.

I'll see what you do with the River System Docs and then follow suit with the Projects that I have instigated and completed.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, sounds good.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I may include everything under https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... em%20Files actually, just for completeness's sake.

EDIT: In a few different repos - it doesn't make sense for it all to be in the same place, but it should be versioned nonetheless.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

We might also want to do this for more space on gitlab: https://about.gitlab.com/solutions/open-source/join/

We don't need more space just yet, but we might do in the foreseeable future.

And a possible way of helping fund future work: https://about.gitlab.com/blog/2019/02/0 ... -platform/
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

The new repository is here: https://gitlab.com/wmtprojectsteam/rive ... ystem-docs.

What license are we using for this stuff? I think CC-BY-NC, but I'm not sure, and I'm not sure which version either.

We are missing multiple versions of some files. I can search the forums and forum backups for these too, but it would probably be much more time-efficient to search any personal archives first. Here's what we need to find and check for so far.

The easiest way to get these to me and on the webserver in the right places is probably to compress them and upload here, or to a file-sharing service. I'll then put everything in the right place and update the list.

NOTE 6/9/2022: I (Hamish) have done all I can with this for now. The remaining work needs to be carried out by someone involved with the hardware.

NOTE:

It might be possible to find more by trying to do an attachment search from within phpBB's admin interface. At this point, I feel like I've spent enough time and we've found almost everything, and probably everything important - I'll leave that to someone else.

/Design/Drawings:
  • Circuit V01.pdf
    • Is this the SSR circuit? It needs a clear name. (This is the SSR circuit, duplicated file here removed)
    • The source for this version that was used to generate the PDF. (Skipped as above)
    • Any other versions. (Skipped as above)
  • Outline water system.odg
    • Any versions before V1. (None Found)
    • Any 1.x versions. (None Found)
    • All 2.x versions between 2.0 and 2.3. (Not Fixed - cannot find)
    • Any versions after 2.4. (None Found)
    • This may not be very important - v2.4 is from 2017.
  • Overall_System_Configuration.odg
    • Any versions before V01. (None Found, seems to be the earliest)
    • Any versions after V11. (None Found)
  • Protoype_Levels_System_*_Deployment.odg.
    • Any newer or older versions. (None Found)
  • SumpPi_Flowchart.dia
    • NOTE: Renamed to V01.
    • Move to rivercontrolsystem repo so it can go with the rest of the software documentation. (Not Fixed)
    • Any other versions. (Added from Terry's Archive, no more found)
  • ButtsPi_Flowchart.dia
    • NOTE: Renamed to V01.
    • Move to rivercontrolsystem repo so it can go with the rest of the software documentation. (Not Fixed)
    • Any other versions. (Added from Terry's Archive, no more found)
  • River_System_Schematic_Plan_of_Layout.odg
    • All versions prior to V2.5 (None Found).
    • Any newer versions. (Added 2.6 from Terry's Archive)
/Design/Software API Docs:
  • Various Software API Docs versions missing. (Fixed)
/Design:
  • Capacitive probe measurement.odt.
    • Any versions after v01. (None Found)
  • WMT_River_System_Control_Strategy_Document.odt
    • All versions prior to 0.4. (Added from Terry's archive, no more found)
    • Any versions after 0.4. (None Found)
  • WMT_River_System_Design.odt
    • Any versions before 0.1. (None Found)
    • Any versions since 0.5. (None Found)
  • WMT_River_System_Gate_Valve_Composite_Document.odt
    • All versions prior to 0.4. (Added from Terry's archive, no more found)
    • Version 0.7 (Added from Terry's archive)
    • Any versions since 0.9 (None Found)
  • WMT_River_System_Sensor&Control_Assy_Composite_Document.odt
    • All versions prior to 0.5. (Not Fixed)
    • Any versions since 0.8. (None Found)
  • WMT_River_System_Software_Design.odt
    • Any versions prior to 0.1 (None Found)
    • Any versions since 0.12 (None Found)
  • Organise the rest of the files here added from Terry's archive, and remove duplicates (Done, No action needed)
/Hardware/Devices and Probes/Gate Valve:
  • Actuator_Motor_Drive_Circuit_(LM298D_Board).odg
    • Any versions before v02 (Added from Terry's Archive, no more found)
    • Any versions after v05 (Added from Terry's Archive, no more found)
  • Any newer or older versions of the rest of the files here - needs a check by someone involved in the hardware. (Not Done
/Hardware/Devices and Probes/Hall Effect Probe Mk1:
  • Prototype_Magnetic_Levels_Probe.odg
    • Any versions prior to v0.1 (None Found)
    • Any versions since v0.2 (None Found)
/Hardware/Devices and Probes/Hall Effect Probe Mk2:
  • MagProbeAlt SS.ods
    • All versions prior to v0.2 (Not Fixed see below)
    • Any versions since v0.3 (Not Fixed see below)
    • What is this file? Is this for Mk1 or Mk2? Probably needs a better name (Not Fixed)
    • Previous versions and duplicates are available under Mk1 - not sure if they are for the same probe or not, someone involved with hardware needs to sort this out (Not Done)
  • MagProbeMk2.odg
    • All versions prior to v02 (Not Found - possibly on Penri's file storage as he posted the file?)
    • Version v05 (Not Found - as above)
    • Any versions since v06 (Not Found)
/Hardware/Devices and Probes/Resistance Probe:
  • Resistance_Probe_D-Type_Pinouts.ods
    • Determine version of unversioned file in /Old - possibly v0.1? (Fixed, is v0.1)
    • Version v0.2 (Added from Terry's Archive)
    • Any versions since v0.3 (Not Found)
  • There are other unversioned files here. They need to be given a version and any other versions found. Someone involved in the hardware should do this (Not Done)
/Hardware/Devices and Probes/SSR and Motor Drive Board:
  • Actuator_Motor_Drive_Circuit_(HIP4082IPZ_Prototype).odg
    • This file also seems to be available under /Hardware/Devices and Probes/Gate Valve. What should we do about this? Duplicated files are best avoided. (Not Fixed)
    • All versions prior to V04. (Not Fixed - available in Gate Valve folder see above)
    • Any versions since V05 (Not Fixed - available in Gate Valve folder see above)
  • Twin SSR Circuit.pdf
    • The source for this file is missing for all versions (Not Found)
    • All versions prior to v03 (is Circuit v01 the first version of this diagram?) (V02 Not Found, Circuit V01 is the single SSR Circuit diagram - renamed and moved to Old/)
    • Any versions since v05 (Not Found)
/Hardware/Devices and Probes/Water Wheel:
  • A variety of files are missing and unversioned here. This needs to be looked at by someone involved in the hardware. (Not Done)
/Hardware/Devices and Probes:
  • Devices_Comparison.odt
    • All versions prior to v0.2 (Not Found)
    • Any versions since v0.2 (Not Found)
/Hardware/Interfaces Board:
  • Interfaces_Board_Circuit_Diagram.odg
    • Any versions prior to v0.1 (Not Found)
    • Any versions since v0.2 (Not Found, forum thread ends at v0.2)
  • Interfaces_Board_Layout.odg
    • Versions v0.3 and v0.4 (Added from Terry's archive)
    • Any newer versions (Not Found)
  • Master&Remote_Pi_Interfacing_Circuit.odg
    • Any versions prior to v01 (Not Found)
    • Version v02 (Added from Terry's archive)
    • Any versions since v05 (Added from Terry's archive)
    • Seeing as the design has changed to a centralised design around the database, so V06 go in /Old too?
  • Oct_2017_Integrated_System_Wiring.ods
    • All versions prior to v0.2 (Added from Terry's archive)
    • Any versions since v0.2. That this file in only in /Old suggests that newer versions were created. (Could not find)
/Hardware/Inventory:
  • River_System_Inventory.ods
    • Any versions prior to 2018-11-09 (Not Found, this appears to be the first)
    • Any versions since 2018-11-11. (Found and added)
/Hardware/Mechanical Layout:
  • Unsure. These don't seem to be dated so I don't know if these are current or not. Someone involved in the hardware should do this (Not Fixed)
/Hardware/Pi Installations:
  • Very likely to be out of date. Some files are not versioned. Needs a review by someone involved in the hardware. (Not Fixed)
/Hardware/Spec Sheets:
  • This folder is empty - why? (Not Fixed)
/Hardware:
  • Where is Flow monitor V2 meant to go? (Fixed - moved to /Hardware/Devices and Probes/Water Wheel)
/Installation:
  • WMT_River_System_Installation_Specification.odt
    • All versions prior to v0.5 (Added from Terry's archive)
    • Any versions since 0.17 (Added)
/Requirements:
  • Any newer or older versions of anything under Source_Data. Not sure where these came from so someone else needs to fix this (Not Fixed)
  • WMT_River_System_GUI_Reqs.odt.
    • Any versions prior to 0.1 (Not Found)
    • All versions between 0.4 and 1.0 (Not Found, version bump may have occurred after 0.4)
    • Any versions since 1.5 (Not Found)
  • WMT_River_System_Imps_Reqs.odt
    • Any versions between 0.5 and 1.0 (Not Found, version bump may have occurred after 0.5)
    • Any versions since 1.0 (Not Found)
  • WMT_River_System_Phased_Requirements.odt
    • All versions prior to 0.2 (Not Found)
    • Any versions since 0.5.3 (Added as file was updated since this list was created)
  • WMT_River_System_Requirements.odt
    • Any versions since v0.5.1 (Not Found)
  • WMT_River_System_Sensor_Reqs.odt
    • Any versions since 1.0 (Not Found
  • WMT_River_System_Software_Requirements.odt
    • Any versions since 0.2 (Not Found)
  • The new NAS box requirements (Added to git repository)
/User_Manual:
  • WMT_River_System_User_Manual.odt
    • All versions prior to 3.0 (Not Fixed)
    • Any versions since 3.0 (Not Fixed)
Overall Status: 6/9/2022 15:15: Hamish's work concluded, further changes need to be done by someone involved with the hardware.
Last edited by hamishmb on 06/09/2022, 11:53, edited 16 times in total.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 20/07/2022, 12:12What license are we using for this stuff? I think CC-BY-NC, but I'm not sure, and I'm not sure which version either.
This is what I chose originally, when I did the work on the Railway Room Lighting circa 2016/17.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/.
It is included on the front page of every document, but not on the drawings. This is why I originally pasted drawings into documents, but that idea seems to have lapsed. (It was also not very successful because of loss of quality. Perhaps going forward we should add a Copyright notice to all documents on the server?)
hamishmb wrote: 20/07/2022, 12:12Overall Status: 20/7/2022 12:10: Still adding items to list.
When your list is complete I'll send you what I have.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I'm happy for all of my non-code work to be CC-BY-NC 4.0. Shall I make it all under that one then?

I think it will be sufficient to put a LICENSE file next to the docs and just in /files on the server, and make a post somewhere clear on the forum. We should also have one for the content on this forum somewhere, I'll do that too. Also CC-BY-NC 4.0? It's not like we really link to it from anywhere, but still worth doing probably.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 20/07/2022, 12:33I'm happy for all of my non-code work to be CC-BY-NC 4.0. Shall I make it all under that one then?
Not CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0? Sharealike makes it more like the GPL.
hamishmb wrote: 20/07/2022, 12:33I think it will be sufficient to put a LICENSE file next to the docs and just in /files on the server, and make a post somewhere clear on the forum. We should also have one for the content on this forum somewhere, I'll do that too. Also CC-BY-NC 4.0? It's not like we really link to it from anywhere, but still worth doing probably.
I'm happy with the single file, but I think we should choose CC-BY-NC-SA.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yes, I agree sharealike is better.

Something I've done with my personal projects lately is also mirror them to github, as this improves visibility due to its big userbase. Should I do that for the WMT repos too?

I'd need to set up an organization for WMT for it and all that, but shouldn't be too hard.

Also note that I was wrong about GitLab space, I misunderstood the pricing plans. Same goes for GitHub, no real space issues there for our uses.
Hamish