Water Backup Logic Development

A forum for discussion on the software for the WMT River Control System
TerryJC

Re: Water Backup Logic Development

Post by TerryJC »

Buster is definitely still available; there's six iterations of it starting in May 2020 and ending, just before bullseye came out, in May 2021. The latest is the one that I'll use.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

In terms of not remembering adding it to the installation spec, I'm fairly sure I added it and you reviewed it - that's probably why you don't remember.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 30/05/2022, 11:02In terms of not remembering adding it to the installation spec, I'm fairly sure I added it and you reviewed it - that's probably why you don't remember.
That is undoubtedly the case.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I have almost completed configuring the clean installation and still have the same problem with MySQLdb.

I have to go out now and won't get a chance to do much more today, so I'll pick this up again tomorrow.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, let me know where you got your Raspbian buster image and I'll try on my spare pi and see what happens.

It always seems to be this way with this system, try to do one thing and find 12 other things you need to do first :lol:
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I got my buster image from

For a while I toyed with the idea that the problem was the PATH to the Python Module; I recalled some issues with that from way back. Here is what the Installation Spec says:
Use the following command to install the additional Python modules needed for execution of the Software Framework:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install rdate
sudo apt install RPi.GPIO
sudo apt install python3
sudo apt install python3-pip
pip3 install adafruit-circuitpython-ads1x15
pip3 install psutil
pip3 install mysqlclient
Notice that the pip3 installations do not require sudo. To be sure, I uninstalled mysqlclient using pip3 and then re-installed it with sudo pip3. The problem is still apparent.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I can't remember why, but we need mysqlclient==2.0.1. I think this is in the install spec, but not in all places apparently. I have made that change to my WIP spec document.

I thought it was an incompatibility with the NAS box that meant we needed that version, but I guess it might have been an incompatibility with Raspbian Buster.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Should all those pip installs be to the local directory or with sudo? When I followed the Installation Spec, adafruit-circuitpython-ads1x15 told me that I needed to add the location of the code to my PATH variable. I don't remember having to do that before and the Adafruit website says to use sudo:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-4-c ... cuitpython.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 31/05/2022, 8:49I can't remember why, but we need mysqlclient==2.0.1. I think this is in the install spec, but not in all places apparently. I have made that change to my WIP spec document.
We should publish this document. I have Iss 0.16_WIP, which you posted on 20th May. If that is the correct one, and the versioning of mysqlclient works, I'll publish it with the change as Iss 0.17.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

We should, except that I'm midway through making changes for the Pi VMs. How about we modify the pip command on top of 0.16, and make that 0.17. Then, my WIP version can become 0.18?

I have the bad habit of using sudo for pip, but if PATH is involved then yes I think we should probably keep using sudo, at least for the ads1x15 module. I never had to mess with PATH either, but I always used sudo, so maybe it's an either-or thing.
Hamish