March 2022 onwards - River System Status

Sub-forum to hold river system status topics
hamishmb

Re: March 2022 onwards - River System Status

Post by hamishmb »

Hmm, I guess we can just stay aware of it then, and hope that it either doesn't happen again for a while, or that it fails in a more obvious way next time.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Morning

The second set of Hanham Butts were installed yesterday (Tuesday 17th) and we hope to put the 3rd set in tomorrow. When that's complete I'll need the gate valves to complete the plumbing in that area.

After installing the Hanham gate valves I'll then move on to making the changes in Wendy Street plumbing to accommodate the upstream pump and bypass valve plus reconnecting the pipe to the Hanham Butts.

Can you let me know when the Hanham valves will be available, please.

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I have not tested the Hanham valves with the software yet, but plan to do so soon, in the next week or two.

That said, Terry tested the hardware extensively and it has been kept indoors since he gave it to me. With that in mind, I'm happy to test using just the virtual machines, as they capture all of the software elements of the system anyway, and make sure I check the eg pin configuration is correct. If we're happy to do that, you can have the hardware at any time (subject to letting me know in advance of course).

Terry, am I right in saying that you got a test program to turn the mains water solenoid?
Last edited by hamishmb on 18/05/2022, 11:40, edited 2 times in total.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 18/05/2022, 11:04Terry, am I right in saying that you got a test program to turn the mains water solenoid?
I did. At the time I thought that the solenoid wasn't working because it was clicking but not actually opening. Penri said that the valve needs water pressure to actually open, but clicking indicated that it was working.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, I'm happy to return the valves and just test with the software then, seeing as we know the hardware and interfacing is working.

Note that I will also add the engineer GUI feature to control devices before I retire from WMT too, if that helps avey any concern.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

All the Hanham Butts are now plumbed together as groups of 5.
I can pick up the valves over the weekend, if you’d like, or they can the dropped off at WMT and placed on the bench in the poly tunnel.
I plan to lay out the up-stream pump plumbing next week to make sure we have the necessary fittings to install it and re-connect the Hanham Butts to the Wendy Butts. I’ll need the bypass valve before installing the pump.
Terry, the up-stream pump is a mains device so I’ll need to install a SSR in Wendy Butts SAC to operate it, that is where you suggested we derived the control signal from, wasn’t it? I’ll route the Ethernet cable for the valve from the Big Switch. I’ll schedule the electrics work after the pump and by-pass valve have been installed.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Excellent. I have texted about when I can drop them off.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Note that when I received the gear, some of the rubber gaskets slipped when I screwed the cables in - they may need to be checked and re-seated before deployment, to make sure everything is waterproof.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri wrote: 20/05/2022, 8:12Terry, the up-stream pump is a mains device so I’ll need to install a SSR in Wendy Butts SAC to operate it, that is where you suggested we derived the control signal from, wasn’t it? I’ll route the Ethernet cable for the valve from the Big Switch. I’ll schedule the electrics work after the pump and by-pass valve have been installed.
That will simply need a connection to Pins 5, 6, 7 and 8 on the Wendy Butts SAC. Then the Backup software will need to be configured to control it. I envisage that this will be similar in approach to the water_backup_control_logic() function in controllogic.py maybe with a new function or the same function with expanded capabilities. There will be a Gate Valve to control as well of course.

Hamish, do you have any thoughts on this?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I have delivered the gear. The valves and box and solenoid are all on the bench, and the probes are nearby alongside a chair. A little white plastic strip fell off a valve when I moved it, but I'm not sure what it does or where it's from, so I've left it on top of a valve. I couldn't see it on any of the other valves, and it doesn't seem to serve a purpose so hopefully it doesn't matter.

I'm not sure what the Backup software in this case is doing. Are we trying to pump up to the Hanham butts from Wendy butts? The discussion should probably go in a new thread, anyhow.
Last edited by hamishmb on 20/05/2022, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Hamish