(up to August 19th 2019) River System status

Sub-forum to hold river system status topics
hamishmb

Re: River System status

Post by hamishmb »

Hmm. I haven't updated the software on the pis for a while, so maybe I should do that next time I'm in to see if that improves things. I will also have a look at the logs to see what was happening.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Greg tells me the sump level is very low today, I’ll pop in to see if I can kick start the system.
Penri

Post by Penri »

I can not get any response from the Gate Vavle. Neither soft or hard reset appears to work so I’ve powered down the Wendy House switch box, which takes everything bar the sump down, and have manually opened the vavle to get some water into the river.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

Would it be worth me popping down to have a look? I'll bring a few bits with me in case there is a physical fault.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Just power up, vavle closed. Will try to connect shortly. If you can make it and take a look at activity it would really help.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I'll be there in about 15 minutes.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

By the time I got there Penri had got it going again by resetting the Pis a few times. When we left it was working.

I took the Results while I was there. It is just over a week since the Pis were last reset.
Attachments
2019-08-03_Results&Logs.zip
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 108 times
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I'm not sure what to make of those readings. I've only briefly looked at the V4 Gate Valve readings, but they seemed to be OK for one month, between the 11th July and the 1st August. There is one results file for each week; this I assume is the new logging routine that starts a new file once a week.

Then, yesterday, on the 2nd Aug, everything went wrong and a new file was created six times and another three up until 0400 today, then nothing. The program seemed to stop storing results and as we know, the Gate Valve was not working when Penri checked it this morning.

The log file flags up a number of errors. An OSError was caught 13 times throughout the period, but the system seems to have recovered OK. (It carried on and kept calm.) :) However, early this morning there was a ConnectionRefusedError and another at around 0808 UTC, I can't see how that ties in with the multiple restarts though.

Any thoughts?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hmm, okay, I'll have a look.

It's supposed to have been doing weekly readings files for a while I think, but when we reboot it it always creates new files. I should also change that, because it's supposed to be daily now, right?

I'll have a proper look later, but a power cycle at 4AM with no explanation sounds like power loss/hardware failure to me :/

EDIT: Of course it's probably not helping that they aren't all running the same software version. I'll deploy the new software on Tuesday or something, which may help. It also changes some gate-valve and hall effect probe-related implementation details, so I'll make sure to check it's all working properly.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

I’ve just spent a long time typing up an analysis of the results only for the forum to time me out as I submitted, loosing it all, grrrr. Anyway:

I concentrated on the files before yesterday and noted that the both butts probes and float switches all looked good, the Gate Valve showed activity (by the way does a negative gate position reading (I saw -58 mean a spurious Closed or an Open at 58%?), but the Sump was reporting an unchanging 550mm, Looking back through the files in this group, it appears to have been at that level since 09:07 on the 25Jul19. Before that time is was varying as we would expect.

A simple explanation would be a stuck float but when I checked the sump on Tuesday 30Jul19 and saw that it was overflowing I’m positive I didn’t observe the float below the water surface.

Other explanations welcome.

As I understand it if the sump level was reported at 550mm the control algorithm would not have opened the Gate Valve, so in that respect the system was operating as expected.

I was interested by your comment on the 04:00 re-boot Hamish, it certainly wasn’t me at that time of day, but I will own up to multiple soft and hard re-starts of the system in part and as a whole yesterday and today. Could it be that the RPi clocks didn’t re-sync, particularly if I took individual devices down. Whether it’s associated or not I did see that in the G4:M0 03Aug19 file the first time-stamp is 03:06 and the second 02:17.

On a positive note, I have long suspected that the Stage Butts sub-system was suffering from a slow leak, the probe measurements does not appear to bear that out. Any water they capture, albeit slowly, seems to stay put.