Common Procedures Document

This Forum is for discussions about site-wide development that doesn't warrant or fit into any of the other ongoing projects.
TerryJC

Common Procedures Document

Post by TerryJC »

As discussed in the VPN Server Topic, I have created a Common Procedures Document. This document contains detailed descriptions all of the activities that will generally be required for any installation. Within the document, I refer to a set of drawings that detail hardware layouts.

In due course, these procedures and decriptions will be removed from the Installation Specifications and/or Composite Documents for individual systems and a reference to this document provided.

Please review these draft documents and include any additions, comments or corrections below. Once we are happy with the information provided, I will raise the document and drawings to Issue 1.0 and upload them to the WMT Fileserver.
Attachments
Electronic_Modules_Mechanical_Layout_Details_V0.6.odg
(9.86 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Wimborne_Model_Town_Common_Procedures_Document_Iss_0.1.odt
(37.95 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Terry
hamishmb

Re: Common Procedures Document

Post by hamishmb »

I have fixed some typographical errors in the common procedures document with Track Changes on, so they can be reviewed. This was mostly removing extra copy-and-pastes and fixing inconsistent fonts. I have attached my document and labelled it ISS 0.2.

I am not qualified to review the other document, but I will note that the cross-hatching on the background makes it hard to read the text.

NB: I was not notified of this topic because I wasn't watching the forum. We might need to email Penri to let him know about this.
Attachments
Wimborne_Model_Town_Common_Procedures_Document_Iss_0.2.odt
(38.46 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

I've got it, thanks.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 11/12/2021, 19:12I have fixed some typographical errors in the common procedures document with Track Changes on, so they can be reviewed. This was mostly removing extra copy-and-pastes and fixing inconsistent fonts. I have attached my document and labelled it ISS 0.2.

I am not qualified to review the other document, but I will note that the cross-hatching on the background makes it hard to read the text.
Hamish,

Thanks for this; I'll review your changes later.

When you talk about 'the cross-hatching on the background' do you mean the grid of lines that appears behind the images and other objects on each page? That is generated by LibreOffice Draw to aid the placement of items on the page. It can be turned off; (Tools/Options/LibreOffice/Grid) and it doesn't appear on the printed page. If you don't mean that cross-hatching then I'm not sure what you meant.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

At the beginning of Section 5 in the document, I make the following statement:
... generally all Pis that are connected to the WMT Network will be upgraded to the latest version during the Winter Maintenance period
I realised overnight that this is at odds with the decision we took a few weeks ago to NOT upgrade Pis to bullseye this winter unless other work was being performed on them. In particular we felt that when the River system Pis were upgraded, they should all be done together.

Do you think I should add that as a Note?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to add that as a note.

I do intend to do some work on the River System in the nearish future so we might as well upgrade them, after I've tested the software with updated VMs.

Yeah, I meant the grid, thanks for letting me know it can be disabled.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

As agreed I have added an additional Note to Section 5 and also done a little restructuring to make the document easier to understand.

Penri,

Did you have any comments on this or on the hardware docoument?

Once we're all happy, I'll up-issue both documents to Issue 1.0 and upload them to the file server.
Attachments
Wimborne_Model_Town_Common_Procedures_Document_Iss_0.3.odt
(39.06 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

If you are both happy with it please go ahead and publish now. I'm up against it trying to finish some 3D modelling before Christmas plus keeping projects moving at WMT, it has been a struggle even before the Omicron upsurge and I'm waiting to see what impact that has on hands-on volunteers.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Looks good to me.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Terry