Railway Room WiFi Extender

This Forum is for discussions about site-wide development that doesn't warrant or fit into any of the other ongoing projects.
TerryJC

Railway Room WiFi Extender

Post by TerryJC »

As discussed in viewtopic.php?p=5352#p5352, I have now received a second-hand Netgear Win3000v3 WiFi Extender / Access Point and set it up as an AP with the SSID 'WMT-Guest'. I also have two brand-new TP-Link LS1008G 8-Port Ethernet Switches to replace the 5-Port ones currently in use.

I will update the WMT-Network Design Specification in due course, but basically this will be the setup:
WMT_Railway_Room_Network_Configuration.png
WMT_Railway_Room_Network_Configuration.png (81.97 KiB) Viewed 221 times
Penri,

When would you like me to drop the new kit off at the WMT? I won't finish the Underground system work for a while, but you can have the rest and ensure that the WiFi works from inside the Railway Room (eg by accessing the WMT Webserver).
Terry
Penri

Re: Railway Room WiFi Extender

Post by Penri »

Terry

If you are happy to drop it off that will be great.

I won't be at WMT until Tuesday next week but other than that I'm definitely there Tuesday and Thursday mornings, and if next week is anything like this one Wednesday and Friday too!

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hmmm. My subscription to this Topic has fallen off again. :(

I'll try to get in tomorrow morning. Our Washing Machine popped its clogs over the weekend and we have a new one coming tomorrow.

(The trouble with having a nice shiny new fitted kitchen is that after about 8 years or so the appliances all start to fail. :x )
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

You are not having a lot of luck with your kitchen appliances of late. 8 years of faultless service is not bad though, and now you can get a new one with all the latest tech. built in!

I'll be at WMT in the morning.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Another change of plan I'm afraid. I need to take someone for a blood test and then the new machine is arriving.

I'll bring the kit on Thursday.

BTW. You will need another Ethernet drop cable to connect to the Extender. Do you have any there or should I bring one? I have two lengths; 0.5 m and 1 m.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

I haven’t given thought to where to locate the Extender yet so will sort out the cable when I’ve done so. It will probably take me a few days to get around to fitting the items.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri has reported that he has now installed the hardware in the Railway Room Store and measured a strong signal at the location where the Underground system will be re-installed.
Terry