Winter Workshop 21/22

Acts as an interface between the other forums here. Used to coordinate overall direction of the project.
TerryJC

Re: Winter Workshop 21/22

Post by TerryJC »

TerryJC wrote: 15/03/2022, 17:06The Wendy Butts valve proved to be dead, although power was getting to its input terminals.
This has proved to be the old story. The inside of the Gate Valve was infested with arachnids and their leavings. Also the terminals were quite badly rusted, especially the tops of the screws. However, the real fault was a wire link which had been soldered on the Veroboard. I had used Header Jumper wire to make this link and it had gone brittle and fallen off one end.

I've soaked the board in cleaning solution and when my hand-held vacuum cleaner has recharged, I should be able to complete the cleaning and carry out the repair.

Probably tomorrow now.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, I guess this has the bonus of at least meaning that sump pi didn't empty the butts as well as the river when it fell over.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Except that when the valve failed it stuck open.😤

The butts were already empty when we got there yesterday.
Penri

Post by Penri »

The Wendy Butts are full and the ball valve connecting them to the rest of the water system is closed, It will remain like that until the Wendy Butts gate valve is reinstalled.
The current sump probe was installed a while ago (I can’t confirm when from memory but it will be noted on the forum somewhere) after it’s predecessor was declared suspect. The “old” one is in my workshop.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Ah, that's unfortunate!

Thanks for letting me know. I don't really suspect the probe, but that rules it out for sure.

NB: Please subscribe to the new river system status thread at: viewtopic.php?t=319

I think it might be a good idea to do a meeting soon to catch me up on events - I haven't been keeping track for a long time now.
Penri

Post by Penri »

A note to update you on progress.

The planned plumbing re-configuration and reconnection has been done:
Hanham Butts, the associated valves, probes, max/min level gauges and SAC have been re-installed.
Stage Butts SAC re-installed.
Upstream pump and bypass valve installed.
Connections between Hanham, Stage and Wendy Butts all made and tested.

The plumbing has been tested and no leaks observed.

I have to plug in the electrical and Ethernet connections and install the new SSR that will control the up-stream pump plus run power and Ethernet to the by-pass valve.

All for now.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Good to know, cheers for the update.

Time permitting, I'll get back on the river system software soon. There's a fair bit I can do without this stuff needing to be powered anyway, so there's no rush.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Afternoon

This morning I made all the electrical and Ethernet connections to the Hanham SAC, gate valves, probes and min/max sensors, the only thing not connected at this point is the top-up solenoid.
Terry could connect to all the associated RPi's via VPN from his home so I left everything power up and gave all the probes a wiggle.

On Thursday I hope to connect up the up-stream pump and bypass valve.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, good to know.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Morning

I didn't get the up-stream pump and bypass valve wired in yesterday. The bamboo and brambles in the area were becoming thuggish so have now been removed. Will get on with the job when I return from week away.