Maintenance

This Forum is to cover work carried out to re-engineer the existing Minster Bells and MP3 Player System, which has a number of issues caused by the original design.
TerryJC

Re: Maintenance

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

The volume level is 90% at the moment, so we only have a small headroom. I can turn the volume up from here, but is there anything else we can do?

Remind me; what speakers are connected to the music output. As I recall, I had a couple of suitable speakers which were destined for the Nave/Chancel and two more that were of a higher impedance that were destined to be connected in parallel with the existing Tower speakers. The two Nave/Chancel speakers were 4 Ohm I believe and the two for the Tower were 8 Ohm. The Stereo HATs are matched to 4 Ohms. Have we got the 4 Ohm Speakers in the Nave/Chancel? My recollection is that the music was quite loud in my Workroom.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Very perceptive questions which I can't answer definitively I'm afraid, I can only say I installed the larger ones in the Nave and the others in the Bell Tower, wired as per the composite document.

When I installed the speakers in the Nave they certainly were loud within the confines of the Minster (in fact Nikki commented about them when installing the wedding scene and pews) but standing at the door the sound level was much lower but appeared, at the time, appropriate. Now the sound level seems to the lower.

There are a whole lot of factor in play here, not least my perception.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Perhaps the second speaker (midway along the Minster) has become disconnected or someone has moved it. Also, am I right in saying that the first speaker is mounted above or on the shelf over the door? If so, the sound should bounce off the wall of the chancel.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Both speakers are in the Choir/Organ area, one either side, I did not consider locating it elsewhere as that's where the sound would come from in the "real" Minster, perhaps I should have in retrospect, but as sound levels appears ok I didn't.

There is no speaker about the door.

I don't propose to change speaker locations during the season as it would not be a straightforward exercise and the issue isn't one of non-functionality, the music works, it's significantly better in quality than last year but it would be good it is were a little louder.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Shall I turn it up to 100% then?
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

If you'd like me to be there I should be popping in a little later.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

TerryJC wrote: 22/08/2021, 8:01I have not yet been able to test the part of the code that covers the situation where the WiFi goes down during Opening Hours, but a code inspection hasn't revealed anything wrong. I have committed the latest version and pushed it to GitLab and if any problems do emerge I'll fix them as they arise of course.
According to the logs, the WiFi went down between 1251 and 1351 yesterday. The reboot was deferred until the first check after Opening Hours (at 1751) and the reboot occurred correctly.

I am therefore happy to report that the version in Gitlab is now fully tested.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Excellent
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

It's been a while since the last posting on this Topic. After I instigated the reboot code which reinstated the WiFi every time the connection was lost, there haven't been any real problems. However, the situation was far from ideal because the unreliability of the network connection made it difficult to update the OS, and worse, could have trashed the system if the connection failed halfway through an update.

Penri and I discussed this. There were two options; I could replace the ageing Edimax WiFi Adaptor with a more modern one (after all the TinyTVs generally remained connected fairly reliably despite the fact that they don't have an external antenna). Alternatively, a Cat 5 cable could be run to the Minster and the whole system connected directly to the WMT Network via Ethernet.

Since there was other work needed on site to route electrical supplies, Penri chose the second option. Last week he removed the electronics box from the Minster Nave and I collected it and brought it home. It has now been set up here in my Workshop and the WiFi Adaptor has been removed. (It will be used for the Underground system in the Railway Room.)

I have now successfully updated both Pis and once I have collected the Industrial Ethernet connector from the WMT will be able to button it up and return it to the site.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I have a question about updating the Pis. The current version of the the Raspberry Pi OS on the Minster Pis is 'Buster' and the latest version is 'Bullseye', which was released about a week ago. Hamish and I have been having discussions about this by email and text with regard to updating the Pis in the River System and I've already been round the loop once with the Underground system (viewtopic.php?p=5351#p5351). In the case of the Underground, the filesystem is marked as Read-only, which limits the access if an attacker did find his way to the Pi. However, this precludes any updates or remote modifications to the code. The version of Raspberry Pi OS on that system is 'Stretch' and the Raspberry Pi Foundation do not support upgrading that. The only way to bring the system up to date would be to totally rebuild it. The decision that has been taken there is to create a small writeable partition for the program and live with the OS version.

In the case of the Minster Pis, the option is still there to upgrade them from 'Buster' to 'Bullseye' and I am proposing that we do that. 'Buster' will be supported for two more years and 'Bullseye' for four, so we could do nothing for now if we wished. However, if this issue was forgotten we could end up in the same situation as the Underground system and be forced to rebuild the whole thing. We could also mark the filesystem as Read-only, but that we be a bit more complicated because there are lots of logs which would also have to be moved to a writable partition along with the code.

Thoughts anyone?
Terry