Installation

This Forum is to cover work carried out to re-engineer the existing Minster Bells and MP3 Player System, which has a number of issues caused by the original design.
Penri

Installation

Post by Penri »

The electronics box was installed today together with the Nave speakers and associated wiring, see photographs of box location.

Wiring of Quarterjack and Bell tower speakers was not carried out as Iran out of time and the interconnecting wiring core colours were not as expected, will buzz out and make connections tomorrow.

Electronics box with lid refmoved
IMG_6524.JPG
IMG_6524.JPG (2.86 MiB) Viewed 592 times
Power supply box, lid removed. By the way the white item tie wrapped to the fuse panel is a thermometer / hygrometer I've popped in to monitor temperature and humidity in the two Minster towers.
IMG_6525.JPG
IMG_6525.JPG (2.98 MiB) Viewed 592 times
Both boxes installed, viewed from below.
IMG_6526.JPG
IMG_6526.JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 592 times
TerryJC

Re: Installation

Post by TerryJC »

Penri wrote: 05/04/2021, 12:41Wiring of Quarterjack and Bell tower speakers was not carried out as Iran out of time and the interconnecting wiring core colours were not as expected, will buzz out and make connections tomorrow.
That my error. When I did the new circuits I rationalised the wiring to make sure I had enough wires for the extra speaker. I should have flagged that up.

The circuit of the original system is at https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... _V0.12.odg and may help with the wiring changes.

Let me know if I need to change the colour scheme.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello

This morning I paralleled up the two smaller computer speakers and wired them into the Plug which mates with SK4 using a 4 core cable, then installed the speakers into the upper tower area.

SK4/1 "left audio -" connected via Blue and Blue cores (of the 4core cable) to the White (-ve) core of the speaker cables
SK4/4 "left audio +" connected via Red and Yellow cores (of the 4core cable) to the Red (+ve) core of the speaker cables

I was still struggling with the existing Solenoid / Speaker cable, the low impedences and diodes in the circuit were causing me some confusion. I have now resolved my issue, confirmed that the circuit for PL4 is correct and so I will make the joints to the plug which mates to SK3 tomorrow.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I checked the CPU Temperatures of the running system a few minutes ago and got:
  • Minster Music - 32.2 deg C.
  • Minster Bells - 28.2 deg C.
The outside air temperature in Wimborne is around 9 deg C at the moment, according to the BBC Weather website. It will be interesting to see how the two CPUs cope when the outside air temperature is around 30 degrees.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri wrote: 06/04/2021, 14:33I will make the joints to the plug which mates to SK3 tomorrow.
Penri,

Can you confirm the colours in the cable for each pin of SK3 so that I can update the documentation?
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Let me give you a complete list of what I noted as I buzzed out and inspected the Quarterjack and associated cables.

Round plastic connector pin outs and cable colours at rear of Quarterjack:
1 - Red - Solenoid Common
2 - Black - Solenoid Left
3 - Blue - Solenoid Right
4 - Brown - Speaker +
5 - Blue - Speaker -
6 - n/c

Round plastic cable connector pin outs and cable core colours at Quarterjack end (8 core cable)
1 - Red
2 - Black
3 - Blue
4 - Brown plus Red spade connector (to "tripod" speaker)
5 - Yellow and White plus Black spade connector (to "tripod" speaker)
6 - Orange
n/c - Green

the other end of the cable:

Sk3 mating half pin outs and cable core colours (8 core cable)
1 - Red
2 - Black
3 - Blue
4 - Brown
5 - Yellow

Sk 4 mating half pin outs and cable core colours (4 core cable)
1 - Black and Blue
2 - n/c
3 - n/c
4 - Red and Yellow

In the Bell section of the tower the:
Black and Blue cores (from Sk4's mating half) are spliced onto the White cores of both smaller cased speakers cables
Red and Yellow cores (from Sk4's mating half) are spliced onto the Red cores of both smaller cased speakers cables

... and finally the WiFi antenna has been attached directly to SMA connector on the equipments box's "connector panel".

In terms a cable lengths and runs there's more installed than is strictly necessary and it's not particularly tidy. I will do something the tidy the cables in the lower tower but leave things as they are in the upper section.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

Can you review the attached? If you agree with my interpretation of your pinouts above, I'll paste the relevant sheets into the Composite Document.
Attachments
Minster_Bells_and_Player_Circuit_V0.6.odg
(713.58 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Installation and snagging completed today.

All working sell.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Excellent work guys, looks very professional :)
Hamish