Notification settings

Help with how to use this forum
hamishmb

Notification settings

Post by hamishmb »

Hi,

Somehow I missed this, I think, so perhaps this is why notification emails don't always work right.

If you click the notifications list towards the top right of the screen, there is a settings button in the dropdown that appears. In there you can specify which things you want to be emailed for. If you're not receiving emails, it's worth checking that you have opted in to emails for the relevant notifications.

Hope this helps,
Hamish
Hamish
PatrickW

Re: Notification settings

Post by PatrickW »

I had email enabled for the following notification types:
  • Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked
  • Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed
  • Someone quotes you in a post
  • Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed
I have just additionally selected to receive email notifications for "Someone replies to a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed", although I don't really want to select that option. I'd rather subscribe to individual topics. That's why I had it set up the way it was.

I just re-subscribed to the "July 2020 Onwards - River System Status" topic, feeling sure I subscribed to it before, but doubting myself.

Looking closer, something has definitely changed about the way the forum handles notifications. I have Topic reply notification emails from Feburary for the thread "Requirements Elicitation starting 8/12/2020", but it looks like I am not subscribed to it. I think I did subscribe to it, and the forum has forgotten that I did so. If I didn't subscribe to it, then why was I getting topic reply notifications, when none of the four notification types I had selected for email notification were applicable?

In my User Control Panel, under "Manage Subscriptions", the "July 2020 Onwards - River System Status" topic (that I just re-subscribed to) is the only topic in my "Watched Topics" list. That is wrong. I was subscribed to quite a few topics. Where have they gone?! (And, no, I'm not getting confused between topic and forum subscriptions. I was subscribed to some topics, as well as some forums. My forum subscriptions seem to be intact.)

I can probably restore my list of topic subscriptions manually by going through my emails to see which topics I got notifications for, but I'll wait and see if there's some way it can be brought back automatically first.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hmm, that is strange, and unfortunately I don't have any answers apart from manually re-subscribing yourself to everything :/

The last update involved a change to some notification-related settings, so perhaps they were lost at that point.
Hamish
PatrickW

Post by PatrickW »

I didn't get a notification email for your reply here, either, and as far as I can tell I definitely should have got one, based on my settings and the fact I am subscribed to the Getting Started forum and was logged out when you posted it. Perhaps it is some kind of mail delivery issue. Maybe exceeding a quota for number of emails sent under the account, or something like that?

It's been intermittent for me. I've had some of the notifications I should have had (most recently a couple on 26th February), but the majority of them have gone missing.
PatrickW

Post by PatrickW »

Oh, hold on, I wasn't subscribed to the Getting Started forum. So, my previous post is incorrect. I got confused because when the checkbox icon for "Subscribe forum" is shown with a tick in it, it means you are not subscribed, and when it is shown without a tick, it means you are subscribed. (It's the old icon indicates action to be taken versus icon indicates current state problem!)
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Having been tipped off by Hamish, I've just seen these posts. I thought I had subscribed, but apparently not.
Terry
PatrickW

Post by PatrickW »

I'm finding that after re-subscribing to some topics, I am getting notifications again for those topics, so it seems like the loss of subscriptions was probably the issue, for me. (Assuming it continues to work now.) After much clicking, I am now re-subscribed to 59 topics.

It looks like the "Someone replies to a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed" setting I mentioned I was enabling above, is no longer enabled for me. I don't think I disabled it again, because I was going to disable it after I'd re-subscribed to topics, so that's a bit odd. It suppose it's possible I never actually submitted the change in settings, but I feel like the forum is playing tricks on me here. But never mind; if topic subscriptions are working, then I'm using those instead.
Penri

Post by Penri »

Notifications appear to be alive and well for me too after reviewing and asserting the suggested setting.
Penri

Post by Penri »

Having said that notifications were now working for me I've just missed a couple on the river status threat, most perplexing!
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hmm, hopefully it is okay from now on. Please note that changing the setting doesn't retroactively change the notifications you get.
Hamish