Deployment

This forum is to cover discussion about the design and implementation of a model TV Set to be placed in the Window of one of the two TV Shops in the WMT.
TerryJC

Deployment

Post by TerryJC »

I have been doing some preparatory work to ensure that the Tiny-TVs deploy with the minimum of fuss. Currently, the devices are connecting to my home network here but on site they will have to connect to the WMT-Guest WiFi Network. Each Pi will therefore need:
  1. A static IP Address.
  2. A unique host name.
  3. An entry in the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with the credentials for the WMT-Guest Network instead of my home network.
I have allocated the first two items above and documented them in the latest version of the WMT Network Design Spec (see https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... cts/Design. The last step cannot be done until I have completed testing here.

Any other deployment requirements, either prior to delivery to WMT or on site will be listed in this Topic.
Terry
TerryJC

Re: Deployment

Post by TerryJC »

I've provided an up to date Composite Document on the Fileserver at https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... r=Tiny-TVs. If and when the 3.3 V smoothing mod (viewtopic.php?p=4998#p4998)is completed, I'll update this and repost.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

TinyTVs installed in both Kings Head and Crown Hotel.
Both powered up and functioned perfectly and Terry could log in remotely to both units.
The TinyTV Pi / driver electronics modules created by Terry have all been housed in IP rated enclosures with these being secured to the rear of the respective dioramas in the above mentioned locations. Details of the enclosures and associated cabling will be added to composite document in due course.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Both Tiny TVs are still communicating over VPN.

Interestingly, 192.168.0.75 is slightly stronger than 192.168.0.75 which is slightly weaker than the Minster Music installation. I'm waiting to see if either drop out before coming to any conclusions about this.

Penri, Did you say that 192.168.0.74 was in the Crown and 192.168.0.75 in the Kings Head?
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Morning Terry

192.168.0.74 is in King Head diorama D (KHD)
192.168.0.75 is in Crown Hotel diorama B (CHB)

CHB has a direct line of sight to the bus shelter antenna, the signal probably only passing through polycarbonate, plywood and the plastic enclosure. The signal path to the masthead antenna would have to contend with numerous layers of concrete / mortar and leaves on trees.
KHD has no direct line of sight to either antenna and the signal paths have to contend with layers of concrete / mortar plus leaves on trees to either.

Interestingly, although not necessarily definitively (i'l have to get the tape measure out), the signal path to and from the Minster Bells antenna is probably shorter, in both directions, than to either of the two dioramas and has to pass through only one concrete / mortar wall plus of course tree leaves.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

As of this morning none of the WiFi based Pis are communicating. The two Tiny-TVs were definitely OK yesterday morning, but neither responded just now.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this. The Tiny-TVs don't need access to the network, except when we want to update the software, but it would be useful.

Similarly the Minster Music Pi will work without access to the internet, but in this case a loss of power (eg a circuit trip which used to be common) will result in the clock becoming slow.

Back when we designed the WMT Network we said that we would avoid WiFi because of unreliability issues. Had it been possible to connect the Minster to the Big Switch we would have, but there are too many obstacles to tunnel under. With the Tiny-TVs I had hoped that the improved WiFi technology of the Zero Ws would suffice, but it looks like we 'lucked-out'.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

The two TinyTVs will not be powered at this time. The mains supplies to the Kings Head and Crown Hotel are switched on and off via a remote controller that the duty manager will operate at the beginning and end of each day. In my haste to install the TinyTVs the switched mains derived 12V is the only source of 12V currently available I could utilise, in both cases, I didn’t consider the consequences at the time.
If this arrangement is likely to lead to complications I’ll have to purchase some more 12V bricks and reorganise the mains supplies for both locations.

Penri
Penri

Post by Penri »

TinyTVs up and running this morning.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Well that will bring the WiFi up every day, but will put the SD Cards at risk due to uncontrolled shutdowns.

It's difficult to do anything about it at present, but I'll think about how we can make the system read-only for next year.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri wrote: 06/06/2021, 8:25 The mains supplies to the Kings Head and Crown Hotel are switched on and off via a remote controller that the duty manager will operate at the beginning and end of each day. In my haste to install the TinyTVs the switched mains derived 12V is the only source of 12V currently available I could utilise, in both cases, I didn’t consider the consequences at the time.

If this arrangement is likely to lead to complications I’ll have to purchase some more 12V bricks and reorganise the mains supplies for both locations.
Penri,

A clarification. I've been assuming that the Tiny-TVs and the Minster system are powered from a site wide 12 V DC supply. Is that correct?

If so, are you saying that there could be mains at the Tiny-TV locations or just 12 V derived from a mains outlet nearby?
Terry