Lifecycle model

hamishmb

Lifecycle model

Post by hamishmb »

As part of the project, I am required to develop/adapt an existing lifecycle model and produce a diagram with explanation of it.

I know we use an Agile-type (I think you called it semi-Agile, Terry?) lifecycle model for WMT projects, but I am not sure if we already have a diagram for it, or if it has remained semi-informal. If we don't have one, it might be useful to have a quick discussion about how this differs from the "stock" Agile method.

Thoughts?
Hamish
TerryJC

Re: Lifecycle model

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

I don't think I've ever produced a lifecycle model and I had to Google the term to find out exactly what it would be in this context (https://www.javatpoint.com/software-eng ... life-cycle). In my day we would produce a Project Plan in the form of a Gannt Chert (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantt_chart). I've produced dozens of those!

I think the point is that the Project Manager (or developer in your case) has to have a working knowledge of the steps to be undertaken when developing the product. The lifecycle model shows these steps and order in which they are to be carried out but kind of leaves the detail out. The Gannt Chart includes dates and dependencies (ie things needed before the next step can be completed).

The original 'Waterfall' engineering model had very rigid dependencies, so design could not commence until requirements were fully captured and signed off by everyone concerned. Similarly coding couldn't start before design was complete. The problem with this is that project frequently had to go back to the start if something changed or didn't work as expected; a very expensive and time consuming approach.

Agile development was created so that Companies could be much more flexible. One way to do this was to develop small parts of the functionality completely before introducing new elements. Each small component is still developed using the proper lifecycle, but if these small parts are chosen well they don't disrupt the project as a whole.

Semi-agile development is my own invention ( :) ), which I created for a particular project where we knew the requirements were very likely to change. (I'm not sure that googling semi-agile would yield anything. :lol: ) For us it worked well because we had the provisions to change requirements written into the contract. For the River System, we effectively used a semi-agile approach as we introduced new requirements into the work, such as the NAS Box.

I hope this helps.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Thanks Terry, that we very helpful.

I'm expected to produce both a lifecycle diagram and a detailed plan - I'll probably do a Gantt chart as they seem pretty effective and simple.

I was thinking that we probably were doing something similar to a semi-Agile process. Do you have a description of the semi-Agile process or similar to hand? If not, no problem as I think I have a fair idea of the differences between an Agile model and the WMT semi-Agile one. I'll draw something up and post it here when it's ready for review.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

As it turns out, it's better for me to devise my own model for the dissertation, so I'll do that. It'll probably be similar to the informal WMT one anyway, as those kinds of models have worked for us in the past and for me with my personal projects.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Right, I'm getting all this stuff organised, finally.

I'm not sure the lifecycle model is very useful, now it isn't mandatory as I'm doing this project my own way. Regardless, I have attached the lifecycle model I made last year here.

Note that Evolus Pencil (https://pencil.evolus.vn/) is needed to open this.
Attachments
Lifecycle Model.epgz
(13 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Hamish