Build of Deployable Units

This forum is to cover discussion about the design and implementation of a model TV Set to be placed in the Window of one of the two TV Shops in the WMT.
TerryJC

Re: Build of Deployable Units

Post by TerryJC »

All Boards are now complete and ready for installation unless we want to improve the smoothing on the 3.3 V rails. Here is the scope display when the flickering screen is run on a Multi-screen Board. Clearly the spikes are considerably larger.

Thoughts?
Attachments
TEK0002.JPG
TEK0002.JPG (215.71 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

If we did want to fix this then Farnell have both inductors and capacitors:

4.7 uH Inductor, 530 mA - https://uk.farnell.com/bourns/78f4r7j-r ... 20inductor.

4.7 uF capacitor, 25 V - https://uk.farnell.com/kemet/c320c475k3 ... +capacitor.

If we got 10 of each we would be looking at about £17 including handling.

Do we want to go ahead with this?
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

I'll order them, to have in out back pockets, but in the mean time lets put the issue to one side and use our work-around.

I was contemplating letting the supplier know of the issue, what do you think?

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

After our telecon on Friday I ordered the parts which arrived today. I added the mod to Tiny-TV2 (which seemed to show the problem more than the other two) and the news is mixed:
  1. The noise level on the 3.3 V pins is negligible when the screens are not running and as below once the screens are showing images.
  2. Without the inductors and caps, two of the three screens were flickering continuously on Friday, eg the known flickery one and one other that has been seen to work on the other Boards. Now only the iffy one flickers and that only while the bus is being written to.
  3. Between writes all three screens seem to be OK.
I'm a little disappointed that this didn't fix the problem completely, but it is clearly much better. Tomorrow I'll modify the remaining Interface Board (which never seemed to be as bad as Tiny-TV2 anyway) and will modify the third when I get it back from you.

I would suggest that we agree a cycle time that is fairly slow. Currently each screen is written with a new image every 5 seconds and then goes on to the next screen, After all screens have been written, the cycle begins again at Screen 1.

I would suggest that we might want to increase the delay between images and maybe add a delay between screens. Once the last image is written to a screen it remains until the next cycle.

Thoughts?
Attachments
05_Tiny-TV2_3V3_(with_Filtering).JPG
05_Tiny-TV2_3V3_(with_Filtering).JPG (186.54 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

I must say I haven’t given much though to presentation just getting to where we are today is quite an achievement.
I don’t have notes on the proposed displayed images at hand so will need to re-familiarise myself with what we discussed.
Changing images every 10 sec.would not seem too slow to me and leaving some images on for longer should not cause any issues.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri wrote: 26/04/2021, 16:59I must say I haven’t given much though to presentation just getting to where we are today is quite an achievement.

I don’t have notes on the proposed displayed images at hand so will need to re-familiarise myself with what we discussed.
Changing images every 10 sec.would not seem too slow to me and leaving some images on for longer should not cause any issues.
Penri,

I have now completed the mods to the second Multi-screen Interface Board that I have and changed the time delay between image changes to 10 seconds. Before I bring those to you, and take the two devices that you have for modification, I think it would be useful to know what people want to display.

As you are probably aware, there are four directories of images on the SD Card:

Tiny-TV_Images.png
Tiny-TV_Images.png (51.44 KiB) Viewed 628 times

At present we don't use the 'Others' images because the original code catered for four Screens not three. Let me know how we want to do this.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Good morning Terry

The majority of people I've spoken to, on the subject of TinyTV, think I'm pulling their legs, so seeing something is going to be a revelation for them.

I have some questions on the current functionality what could lead to others, that might eventually get us to the information you want. I think they are better dealt with on a phone call. This morning I'm at the gym then helping someone out with a PC/iPad/Printer issue which could take 10 minute or a couple of hours.

How are you fixed this afternoon for a chat, can't give you a time yet?

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

Any time after 2 pm. Will you call me?
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Yes I will
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

After our telephone conversation yesterday afternoon I have produced an updated program. Instead of putting different categories of images onto different screens, all screens now display all images in a random order. Obviously the more images that we have, the more random the selection will be. Currently we only have 10 images with up to three displays so there is a good chance of the same image being displayed simultaneously on two displays. I haven't seen all three screens displaying the same image yet.

I will copy the new software onto the three units that I have here and will then be ready to exchange them with the two that you have.

Let me know what would be a good time for you to do this.
Terry