Build of Deployable Units

This forum is to cover discussion about the design and implementation of a model TV Set to be placed in the Window of one of the two TV Shops in the WMT.
TerryJC

Re: Build of Deployable Units

Post by TerryJC »

OK. I've completed Test 1, and it fails, so there's no point in doing Test 2.

OLED_Fault.jpg
OLED_Fault.jpg (86.07 KiB) Viewed 591 times

Tomorrow, I'll see if I can debug the 4th Screen.

If it looks too flaky, I'll ignore it and complete the third multi-screen Interface Board, since we currently only intend to run three screens max.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

I've queried the defective module with the supplier, using the photographs above, will be interested to see what the response will be.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

TerryJC wrote: 09/04/2021, 15:30Also I don't seem to be able to get anything on the 4th screen even though I've seen that screen working on both Interface Boards in the past. That may be a fault that has developed on my Board; I need to do some more diagnostics to be certain.
This is weird! Here is what I did and the result of each step:
  1. I put a known good Screen onto Position 4. - It worked.
  2. I added another known good Screen to Position 1. - Both worked.
  3. I added another known good Screen to Position 2. - All three worked.
  4. I added another known good Screen to Position 3. - Positions 1, 2 and 3 worked. Position 4 was dead.
  5. I removed the screen at Position 1. - Positions 2 and 3 worked. Position 4 was dead.
  6. I removed the screen at Position 2. - Position 3 worked. Position 4 was dead.
  7. I removed the screen at Position 3. - Position 4 was dead.
  8. I moved the screen from Position 4 to Position 1. - Position 1 worked.
So Position 4 can be made to work but it's a chancy business.

Penri, Bearing in mind what I said before about us only needing 3 Screens maximum, what do you think about not spending more time on this problem? If you agree that I should forget it, should I remove the fourth set of header pins on the Interfacing Board to avoid confusion in the future?
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Don’t spend any more time on it, as things currently stand 2 screens is the most installed in any one location, primarily due to physical restrictions.
I want to expand that in the future but getting 4 into any one location would be quite a stretch.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. Will do.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Response arrived from the display model provider this morning apologising for the issue, saying that they don't have any further stock and stating that they will arrange a refund.

Can you managed the testing with the modules you have at hand?

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Yes. Not a problem. I can even use some of the duff ones for test purposes.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

That's good to know.

The refund has just come through.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

FYI I've had one or two more glitches in progress owing to Lynn being pretty poorly over the weekend. I'm hoping to return to work later today or tomorrow.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

At long last I have three Multi-screen Interface Boards completed and working. There have been multiple issues with the design; as detailed above and I've had a couple of build problems which held me up again. (that's not to mention all the interruptions from domestic and WMT causes. I have to say that even now the third screen on Tiny-TV3 is a bit prone to flickering.

Penri,

How do you want to proceed from here? The flickering on Tiny-TV3 could be a problem, or it may be simply a case of trying all the screens in turn until we find one that doesn't flicker in that location. Assuming the ones that do flicker there don't flicker in other locations we could potentially 'tune' the system to work. Maybe the first batch of screens, of which you have most of them, will consistently work in Position 3.

In the meantime, I will start the construction of the two Single Screen Interface Boards this afternoon. They are fully kitted and a darn sight easier to build than their Multi-screen brethren, so hopefully I should be able to complete them without major issues.

Alternatively and assuming that the flickering is something we could accept (1950s TVs frequently flickered a bit), I could drop Tiny-TVs 1 to 3 off to you fairly soon. I will need to update them, setup static IP addresses and make them autostart the code before I bring them.

Let me know your thoughts.
Terry