River System Control Software (2017)

Sub-forum for general software improvements threads
TerryJC

Re: River System Control Software

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 15/06/2018, 10:29We can also rotate readings files now, probably. It's easier because the Monitors keep track of them. Thoughts?
Yes. That would be useful.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hi,

Can you reduce the levels at which the circulation pump switches on and off, I’m in this morning and the systems stopped with around 400mm in the sump. Off at 200 on at 300 should work for us.
Okay, I'll do that so it's ready for next Tuesday. Seems good as we now know the probes are working more reliably.

I'll also look at log rotation, but that'll be for the Tuesday after next, or the Thursday after next Tuesday - I'd like to test the existing changes before I mess with too much stuff.

Hamish
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Circulation pump on/off levels changed to 300/200 respectively.

Hamish
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Super, thanks
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, I've been working on this so far this morning, and have added quite a few changes and improvements, notably:
  • Sump Pi can now log readings from butts pi over the network to .csv files, so we only need to take them from sump pi now.
  • The code has been refactored to share more code between the master pi and remote pi software.
  • ^ This allows us to add more pis more easily later, but more work will be needed.
I would like to do the log rotation stuff now, so a quick question: Shall we rotate logs every day, couple of days, week etc?

I propose every day is probably a good idea, followed by every week as my 2nd choice. Thoughts?

Hamish
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Update:

Dots are now put on a line by themselves in the readings files now, and a lot of refactoring work has been done to ease future developments when we add more Pis.

I reckon every week is probably a better rotation schedule having thought about it more. Everyone okay with that?

Hamish
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello

What do you mean by rotating the logs?

In the event of an anomaly or unusual event we'd want to investigate the logs to try to determine what happened; you may also want to review the logs periodically to see if the system was reacting appropriately to what it was experiencing. I will become increasingly interested in looking at long term trends as the system matures, the .csv files should give me that information.

Hwyl

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Rotating the logs means periodically archiving the log, perhaps compressing it, and starting a new one to keep the sizes down, so we'd be keeping the existing readings, but it would mean Terry and I wouldn't need to reboot the pis when we take readings.

It's more or less just a convenience feature. :)

Hamish
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

OK, then its fine with me.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

We should archive this thread and use the Spring / Summer 2018 and onwards software topic.
Hamish