Overall Design

TerryJC

Re: Overall Design

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 11/11/2020, 14:44NB: Is it envisioned that I would be writing the web/other interface for remote control?

I have the skills to do this (and/or can acquire them) but I may be short of time as usual. If anyone else has/knows someone who has experience with web development it may be better to ask them instead, at least as a pre-emptive measure.
Hamish,

Hopefully it won't be too complicated because we can presumably base the new code on your River System stuff. If so, I could probably do the grunt work if you review the code for errors etc.

Otherwise we may be looking for a web developer.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, that seems fair.

We do need to make the actual web interface though/local control interface if it's just to run on the Office PC. Flask is probably an ideal candidate for that because it's familiar and can probably hook into the Sockets code from the river system too. Have you used Flask? I haven't but I imagine learning the basics shouldn't be too difficult.

Hamish
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 11/11/2020, 15:11We do need to make the actual web interface though/local control interface if it's just to run on the Office PC. Flask is probably an ideal candidate for that because it's familiar and can probably hook into the Sockets code from the river system too. Have you used Flask? I haven't but I imagine learning the basics shouldn't be too difficult.
I'm not sure we said it would run on the Office PC; just phones and laptops etc. Remember that the Office PC is not connected to the WMT Network, although it might be possible if we installed a local VPN key on it. That would have to be a special key though because the connection would have to be from inside the Office Network.

I haven't used Flask even though I specified it for the Staff and Visitor GUI. That was on Ralph's recommendation.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Ah of course, I see.

From what I gather Flask is pretty easy to use so I don't think it'll be an issue for either of us.
Hamish
TerryJC

Re: Design

Post by TerryJC »

TerryJC wrote: 07/11/2020, 13:46However, the existing system uses a different kind of audio connector in the Quarterjack:
Penri,

My faulty memory may be letting me down, but I seem to recall that the connector shown in the picture in that posting was subsequently replaced with a round industrial type. However, the documentation doesn't show it and I couldn't find any reference to the change in the Forums. Could you confirm or deny that this is the case.

That being said, it may be that we want to use these round industrial connectors for the Main Equipment Case instead of the DIN Type. That way we can have one largish connector (7 or 8-way) for the signals to the Tower and two 4 or 5-way to each speaker and one SMA Socket for the Antenna.

Thoughts?
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

I have no issues with the audio connector shown in the photo, it's a robust design, I think called a DIN Audio connector, which RS sell.

I couldn't work out if the RF connector was a solder or crimp type, or did you envisage buying a pre-made cable?

I haven't made up a RG174 / SMA connector joint for decades, but willing to give it a go!
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri wrote: 13/11/2020, 14:45 I have no issues with the audio connector shown in the photo, it's a robust design, I think called a DIN Audio connector, which RS sell.

I couldn't work out if the RF connector was a solder or crimp type, or did you envisage buying a pre-made cable?

I haven't made up a RG174 / SMA connector joint for decades, but willing to give it a go!
I thought I'd added a link to a suitable type. I was certainly looking at pre-made cables originally and I found a bulkhead male to male adaptor which would make it all much easier. It was really the principle of using a bulkhead SMA instead of a grommet that I was asking about. We can find the most cost-effective method a bit later.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

TerryJC wrote: 12/11/2020, 8:55My faulty memory may be letting me down, but I seem to recall that the connector shown in the picture in that posting was subsequently replaced with a round industrial type. However, the documentation doesn't show it and I couldn't find any reference to the change in the Forums. Could you confirm or deny that this is the case.
Penri,

You didn't respond to this.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

TerryJC wrote: 12/11/2020, 8:55My faulty memory may be letting me down, but I seem to recall that the connector shown in the picture in that posting was subsequently replaced with a round industrial type. However, the documentation doesn't show it and I couldn't find any reference to the change in the Forums. Could you confirm or deny that this is the case.
Penri,

If my memory isn't faulty and there is a round industrial connector on the back of the Quarterjack, do you have any record of how it was connected? Also, is the chassis half a socket or a plug.

I'm just finishing the design of the circuit and it would be helpful to get this the right way round.

The old circuit diagram dated March 2018 looks like this:
Quarterjack_Wiring.png
Quarterjack_Wiring.png (80.49 KiB) Viewed 699 times
where PL2 is the D-Type in the cable and PL3 is on the Quarterjack. However, I'm not sure if that is showing the hardware with the Audio DIN connector or with a round industrial connector. If the former, then the pins are on the wrong side because the Audio receptacle is the half with the sockets. Of course the original diagram could have been wrong...
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

On the connections question, no I don't have a record of the wiring.

When I worked on the Quaterjack last year I only concerned myself with the mechanics of his arm movements.