Overall Requirements

TerryJC

Overall Requirements

Post by TerryJC »

This Topic has been created to gather together all of the Requirements for the new system. By and large these are identical to the existing system, with the addition of the following:
  1. Access to the WMT Network shall be provided so that software can be updated and the time established without reliance on the Real Time Clock.
  2. The audio system for the Bells and the MP3 Player that plays organ music in the Nave shall be enhanced to eliminate the distortion that currently exists, especially on the MP3 Player.
  3. An additional loudspeaker shall be provided in the Nave to improve the distribution of the sound. This second speaker shall be located half-way down the Nave.
The following additional desirable requirements shall be implemented if possible:
  1. The heat dissipation and cooling of the equipment shall be improved to prevent the current problems caused when the temperature inside the Nave soars due to solar gain.
  2. The control system which allows the selection of new tracks, opening hours and triggers Weddings shall be improved to prevent the switch bounce issues encountered with the current system.
Last edited by TerryJC on 10/11/2020, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
Penri

Re: Requirements

Post by Penri »

If possible I would like to see some visual feedback of status.

For discussion, I'd like to see on the GUI (if implemented):
  • Which "mode" the system is in: normal organ playing; wedding sequence; bell peels; other things I can't remember it does
  • What Pi time it is / countdown to Quarterjack bell ringing
  • What the organ music being played is (and if we get more choral music, what song is being sung).
  • Name of any bell peels being played
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I reckon all that's possible.

Talking of status, I think we should also have:
  • CPU Core Temperature.
  • Fan Speed or status (if fitted).
  • Memory used.
  • CPU usage.
Most of those things are available in the 'RaspPi Check App, but bearing in mind the temperature issues inside the building, it would be quite good as a prompt for Staff to realise something is wrong.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yeah, I reckon all of these things are possible. When I'll have time to do these, I'm not yet sure, but I'm sure I can get it done. Perhaps over the winter holidays (I have a couple of weeks off uni then).

Making this GUI will also require changes to the existing software, of course :) Some of those changes can probably be done by Terry in order to have things done more quickly.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I'm assuming that I'll have to put some hooks into the modified code so that the sockets (or whatever) can access the necessary functions. Not a problem I think. I'll be starting a Software Topic in due course where we can discuss the how, where and why.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yeah, it should be a fairly simple modification to the minster bells software. Assuming we use the Sockets class from the river control system, that should just be able to be dropped in with no modifications. Sounds good.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I have produced a full Requirements Specification for this Project, based on the 2016 Requirements for the existing system, enhanced by the additional Requirements identified above.

If there any comments on this document please let me know below. If the requested changes are substantial please post a modified copy.
Attachments
WMT_Minster_Bells_Requirements_2020_re-engineering_Iss_0.1.odt
(27.11 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Terry
hamishmb

Re: Overall Requirements

Post by hamishmb »

All looks good to me :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

During the development of the Music Player code I've realised that way back in history, when I wrote the original code for the Minster, there was an intention to make the Music Player cycle though the various Playlists. Somehow or another that was never deployed (the traces of it are still in the code though) and the system simply provided (and at the moment will provide) a facility for selecting the next Playlist. Otherwise it simply plays the current Playlist in a loop forever. This is in full compliance with the current Requirements Spec and in fact the old one.

I'd like to simplify the code if this ability to loop the playlists isn't required. What do you think? I must admit, the staff never seemed to make use of selecting the next Playlist (at least every time I went in the music was from Playlist 1). However, now there is a web interface, they might wish to make use of the facility.

The easiest solution from a programming point of view is to leave the functionality as it is and remove the redundant code. The next easiest solution is to retain the existing code and modify it to loop through every Playlist after playing each track once. The least easiest change would be to make the looping another option in the Control Page as that would require some structural changes to the existing code.

What do you think the Trustees/Staff would prefer?
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hummm!

I catch me in two minds.

Since you installed the S/W I imagine only Greg and you were aware of the ability to select playlists, I remember discussing the playlists with you but the fact one could change them had/has escaped me, I probably didn't read the labels on the control box!

Anyway with a web interface the selection process will be easier so I'd like to retain playlist selection please, but if it's possible to move on to the next playlist after the one select has finished that would be great.

In most cases staff / volunteers will rely on the music coming on and then playing whatever it chooses through the day, so playing each playlist in turn would satisfy them. It would also be very useful if someone shows some real interest in the Minster to be able to say, let me play you some choral music or whatever and make it happen.

Make sense?