Staff & Visitor GUI Software 2020/21

A forum to organise work carried out by Canford School students
Ben

Re: Staff & Visitor GUI Software 2020/21

Post by Ben »

I have got the python mysql module implemented in the code, however, i am not sure how the vm works. I can get the vm to boot but i cannot use the python programs on board or connect it to a NAT network. Is there any documentation for how the vm that you linked works?
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Ah glad you got the new mysql module to work.

For what you're doing, all you should need to do is connect to the database on the NAS box VM to view and/or manipulate the data - the idea is that you can set the bridged adaptor settings as I documented above, start it, and then (after finding the IP address as documented above) connect to the database from your host OS - you don't have to program anything to run in the VM.

What issues/errors are you encountering in trying to connect it to a network?
Hamish
Ben

Post by Ben »

Still having trouble getting the nas box vm to work. i have tried changing the network settings and configuring different network setups to attempt to access the system. When i first boot up a fresh copy of the vm i get this error message.

Could not start the machine NAS box VM (Canford) because the following physical network interfaces were not found:

vboxnet0 (adapter 1), enp4s0 (adapter 3)

You can either change the machine's network settings or stop the machine.

I have been using my own database in the mean time but i would like to get this vm working so that i can properly check that the code will work with the database on site.
Do you know how i can fix this error?

Many Thanks,

Ben
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hello Ben,

Good idea using your own database in the mean time.

To solve the first problem, you need to create a host-only adapter in virtualbox as per the instructions at: https://carleton.ca/scs/tech-support/vi ... y-adapter/ All the IP and DHCP settings there match what I have here, so you can just follow the article to the letter.

As for adapter 3 (the bridged adaptor), you'll need to select a suitable adaptor on your system, preferably one with internet access, in place of enp4s0 (my adapters name). See below if you want me to figure out which one it should be for you.

I assume you're running Windows, in which case, please attach the output of:

Code: Select all

ipconfig /all
When run in the Command Prompt. If you're running Linux or macOS, this should work:

ifconfig -a
Or failing that:

ip addr show
When run in the Terminal.

Hope this helps.
Hamish