NAS box memory issues

A subforum dedicated to topics around the NAS.
hamishmb

NAS box memory issues

Post by hamishmb »

So, I've been observing it for a while now, and I don't think there's a problem. Here's why:
  • It's been powered on for around a week with no issues, and memory usage isn't significantly higher.
  • I think free memory is being misreported:
    • I observed by lucky chance that the NAS box is compressing memory when it gets near full with LZMA.
    • It seems to be very lazy with deallocating memory - when a memory hog is started suddenly a lot of memory frees up.
    • Memory usage is high, but I don't think it's our code causing this, and I have seen it occaisionally drop down to around 50MB used as reported by python3-psutil, so I think this is the deallocation thing happening.
  • We have not used any real amount of swap, even under "high" memory load.
  • Everything seems to be running smoothly.
I think I can conclude that the software stopping a couple of weeks ago was caused by me stopping it by accident. If it happens again, I'll of course have to investigate. I could cross-compile some more tools, but I know from experience that it might be a big time drain and end up not working - if we're happy that it's working okay now I'm more than happy to leave this be.
Last edited by hamishmb on 22/09/2020, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Hamish
TerryJC

Re: NAS box memory issues

Post by TerryJC »

I'm happy to let sleeping dogs lie, while at the same time keeping an eye on them. :-)
Terry