Alternative USB driver/overlay for Raspberry Pis

A forum for discussion on the software for the WMT River Control System
TerryJC

Re: Alternative USB driver/overlay for Raspberry Pis

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

What do you mean by 'those'? Are you referring to the Webserver and the VPN Server, or something else?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yeah, that's what I meant I guess. I've just lost track of how many pis there are deployed there. I guess we'll need to remember to enable this driver on the new gate valves and so on when the control logic for them is done.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I beleive that the current deployment is:
  • SACs - Sump Pi, Wendy Butts Pi, Lady Hanham Butts Pi and Stage Butts Pi. Of those, all are powered but only Sump Pi and Wendy Butts Pi are fully operational.
  • Gate Valves - Wendy Butts VALVE4, Stage Butts VALVE12, Lady Hanham Butts VALVE1, VALVE2 and VALVE3. Of those only V4 is fully operational and the three Lady Hanham valves are not even powered.
I don't think I've left anything out.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, all the river system pis are done then. It'll just be figuring out when/if to do the VPN server and webserver then.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

The Webserver is probably safe to do before 10 am or after 5 pm. Only one USB device is connected to it; the USB/Ethernet Converter. If you interrupt that during Opening Hours then Visitors won't be able to connect with Android phones for the short time that the Pi is rebooting (I assume that you have to reboot it).

The VPN Server won't affect Visitors, but there is a risk that if anything goes wrong we will be locked out of the system. As with the Webserver, there is only one USB device connected to it; the USB/Ethernet Converter, which is our way in. If something did go wrong someone will be able to connect via the site WiFi (which is connected to the fixed Ethernet port on the Pi), but they would of course have to be present on site.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay. I'll do the VPN server around 4 PM, and the webserver sometime after 5 PM. I'll pop in to log in and fix it if needed. I very much doubt it will cause any problems.

Have we successfully rebooted the VPN server with no problems before?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Yes. When I updated all the Pis a few weeks ago.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, that makes me feel a bit better about rebooting it :lol: . I'll do it just after 4 then.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay all done and seems fine. Interestingly, the VPN seems a bit more responsive now.

I guess we could get Penri to check if the webserver is still working properly, but I'm sure it is.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 29/09/2020, 16:58 I guess we could get Penri to check if the webserver is still working properly, but I'm sure it is.
It won't hurt to ask him to check.
Terry