How to handle database failure

A forum for discussion on the software for the WMT River Control System
TerryJC

Re: How to handle database failure

Post by TerryJC »

I have a nearly new 4 GB one made by TDK or a fairly old 16 GB one made by SanDisk.

Let me know which one you want and I'll drop it off at WMT tomorrow morning (I have to go in anyway to drop off a couple of outstanding Expenses forms).
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Whichever one is less useful to you I would say. Either will be plenty big enough.

I will be back in soon to complete my pentesting so just let me know where you put it and I'll plug it into the NAS box.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I'll bring the smaller (and newer) one then.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

NB: Don't worry about this. I'm not coming in to install this due to the local COVID spike. If you decide to go in anyway, might as well bring it, but otherwise don't worry. I can do remote backups and set up an automatic backup to the internal HDDs.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I have confirmed the USB stick is recognised and done a database backup. I shall sort out the rudimentary backup system soon.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Backup system is now working. I'll confirm on Monday morning if we have a backup, and if not I'll make a small change to fix it.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

We did have a backup on Monday morning all those months ago, and the temporary backup system works fine except that the USB stick has been full for a very long time now. It doesn't matter much because the tick values are all wrong anyway due to the NAS box being unreliable.

While looking for other stuff, I have come across this thread again. Most of the work mentioned here never happened for a variety of reasons, and I'm no longer sure whether it is worth the effort, especially seeing as we plan to install a replacement NAS box that should fix any reliability issues.

EDIT: I'm also thinking the time and effort required to implement this solution is probably more of a problem than the financial cost of a new NAS box if a failure were to occur.

Thoughts?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I agree.

(The quicker we get the agreed jobs done, the quicker that Penri can justify the costs for a new NAS Box.)
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay then, I'll shelve this idea and add it to my "nice-to-haves" list. Agreed that also the existing jobs take priority.
Hamish