WMT Network Design and Development

This Forum is for discussions about site-wide development that doesn't warrant or fit into any of the other ongoing projects.
hamishmb

Re: WMT Network Design and Development

Post by hamishmb »

Note that in the document some of the gate valves are listed as on (g1, g2, g3) whereas in reality they aren't, and also g6gatepi is now operational due to Patrick's work :)

Obviously not too much of a priority though.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Things are a bit hectic here at the moment. Lynn's not too well and we've had a sequence of household faults such as the doorbell and one of the toilet cisterns.

I'll update this in due course.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 26/02/2021, 23:29Note that in the document some of the gate valves are listed as on (g1, g2, g3) whereas in reality they aren't, and also g6gatepi is now operational due to Patrick's work :)
Hamish,

I was thinking about this. I'm assuming that you are referring to the valves listed in Table 2 and in the two diagrams. In fact, the document is correct wrt the names of the Pis. The purpose of this document is to detail the design of the network and the two things needed to do that are the IP Address and the hostname of each device on the network. With hindsight it may not have been the best approach, but all of the Pis were designated nomenclatures that related to their location such as g1 for Group 1 etc. The Valves themselves aren't relevant to this document and so are not listed.

There are one or two areas that do need updating however, apart from marking g6gatepi as running. These include the Minster Music and Bells Pis (there are two in the Table but only one on the diagram) and the Tiny-TVs (they are all listed in the Table, but only two on the diagram).

As mentioned, I'll sort this later.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yeah, I meant whether they are running or not, not the names.

Your and Lynn's health is much more important than any of this, as with fault fixing - don't worry about it and I hope Lynn gets better soon.
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Afternoon

Just to keep you in the picture; this morning I made the Ethernet connection between the Minster Music and Bell electronics and the Big Switch also reconnected the Ethernet link from the Big Switch to the Stage SAC, which I had to cut when the Big Switch was moved, nothing is powered yet.

While running the Ethernet link to the Minster we also ran another link to where the Model of the Model Town will be situated, that will be joined by a 12V feed in due course. Apart from lighting under the Model of the Model, to facilitate maintenance, I have no specific plans for the Ethernet or 12V feed yet.

I'll test out the Ethernet connection when I next have a quiet moment, possibly tomorrow but more likely next week.

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Excellent, thanks for the update :)
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, so after some confusion yesterday, the Network System Design document is now available at: https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... ork/Design.

I knew it was on the file server before, but somehow it was lost as the old links from this thread no longer work. I have salvaged the old versions from this thread and put them in an "Old" subfolder at the above location, as we have for other documents. Some versions are missing, but hopefully I can find them later from some older backups.

I suggest at some point we all go through our archives and see if we can find any other documentation that isn't on the file server. I also plan to make a thread that links to the location of each document and the corresponding thread, to make finding things a bit easier. I wonder if we'd have been better off with a wiki for some of this stuff, but it's a bit late to change things now. I will probably also reorganise parts of the forum again soon to try and make it easier to find things, but at least we have a working search feature now.

Final note: in the creation of the new Pi VMs, I have chosen a hostname of "g4bypassgatepi" for VALVE6:V6, which was previously m6gatepi as part of the matrix pump - the network design document should be updated to include this (and the state of the Tiny TVs etc) at some point.

I will now make another backup of the forum and fileserver.
Hamish