WMT Network Design and Development

This Forum is for discussions about site-wide development that doesn't warrant or fit into any of the other ongoing projects.
TerryJC

Re: WMT Network Design and Development

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

I'll pick up these changes over the coming days.

There are a couple of comments and queries before I do that:
  1. I'd forgotten about the extra Network Switch in the Railway Room Store. Can you remind me what it is (eg how many ports).
  2. The Sump isn't called G4 because it isn't a Butts Group. G4 is the Wendy Street Butts Group. I had started out not using the River System IDs in this document because they aren't relevant to the network as a whole (I notice that one or two slipped in). The IDs are encapsulated in the hostnames anyway. I still think we shouldn't complicate this document (as far as possible) with Project Specific information unless it's needed. If you agree, I'll make sure all the other entries are consistent.
  3. What I think is relevant is the number of ports on each of the Network Switches installed in the current network because that will help us plan future expansions, hence my query in 1) above. I know what the 'Big Switch' has. Can you confirm the number of ports on each of the rest when you are next in. I'll put this information onto the diagram of the current network.
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

1 & 3 I think the Office side switch is 5 way although I will check. The switch in the Lady Hanham box is an 8 way.

2. My mistake, I meant the Gate valve returning water to the sump; my five were the three behind the Lady Hanham room, the Stage butts valve and the Sump valve. Yes to being consistent.
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

NB: The gate valves are called "VALVE<number>" eg "VALVE4", not "G4". G4 is the name for the site, and this is assigned to the pi that controls that overall site so eg Wendy Butts Pi has the ID G4. Calling the eg Stage Valve "G6" is both somewhat confusing and not what is reflected in the software framework - best to avoid :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 06/09/2020, 21:31NB: The gate valves are called "VALVE<number>" eg "VALVE4", not "G4". G4 is the name for the site, and this is assigned to the pi that controls that overall site so eg Wendy Butts Pi has the ID G4. Calling the eg Stage Valve "G6" is both somewhat confusing and not what is reflected in the software framework - best to avoid :)
As mentioned, I'll be removing all those IDs from this document. The only information needed at each location is the IP Address and hostname (the latter isn't actually needed, but is useful to confirm what you are expecting to see if you log in).
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 03/09/2020, 14:24I have added a Google search box to the navigation bar. It probably won't work for a few days until google has indexed the site. I don't like google much, but I don't think there's a better extension for this.
Should this be working by now? It only seems to find stuff on the Internet and not on the site.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Says it still needs more time to index - rather slow!
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. I've updated the Spec to incorporate the comments and changes from Penri and also made the assumption that G6 Gate Valve will be brought on line tomorrow.

In the document I've accepted all agreed changes and responded to one of the comments. If this iteration of the document is acceptable, I'll remove all change marks and upload it to the fileserver.
Attachments
WMT_Network_System_Design_Iss_0.4.odt
(287.04 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Looks good to me :)
Hamish
PatrickW

Post by PatrickW »

I have a little 5 port unmanaged switch that's been sat in a cupboard for the best part of 10 years not doing anything. I don't think I'm ever likely to use it again myself, so I'm happy to donate it if it's of any use. It's an unbranded 10/100Mbps Maplin jobbie, marked ES3105CH2, with a 9V AC linear PSU.
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Patrick,

That could be useful for the railway networking when we get round to doing it. If need be I can come to your house and pick it up. Otherwise if you come to WMT anytime, perhaps you could pass it on to Penri.

Much appreciated.
Terry