WMT Network Design and Development

This Forum is for discussions about site-wide development that doesn't warrant or fit into any of the other ongoing projects.
TerryJC

WMT Network Design and Development

Post by TerryJC »

This Topic has been started to provide a central place where discussion about the design and realisation of the site-wide WMT Network can take place.

I originally raised this at viewtopic.php?p=4072#p4072 and have reproduced the original Proposal below:

Now that we have a working VPN Server there is a lot more enthusiasm for bringing other devices onto the network. The problem is that the network will become less and less the 'River System Network' and more like the 'WMT Network'. Since we started the River System Project there have been several Projects that are candidates for inclusion into the site-wide network.

So I have a proposal which might involve the following:
  1. Creation of a new Forum 'WMT Site-wide Projects'. This could include work on infrastructure and new ideas that don't necessarily include Raspberry Pis or networking. The first Topic would be 'The WMT Network'.
  2. Within the WMT Network Forum, the creation of a Topic to cover the development of a new design document to fully specify and document the existing and proposed network. This would consist of a Design Spec based on the River System Software Design Spec and include Table 2 from that document and also a System Diagram based on selected sheets from the River System Overall System Configuration. The River System Software Design Spec would then replace Table 2 with a reference to this new spec.
  3. Devices for inclusion in the WMT Network would comprise of:
    1. All existing and proposed River System devices.
    2. The WMT Webserver.
    3. The VPN Server.
    4. All existing and proposed Railway Room devices apart from the Lighting Controller, which has worked now for over four years without any need to adjust it.
    5. Any existing devices such as the Minster Bells and MP3 Player.
    6. Any proposed devices such as the Tiny-TVs.
Having made a start on Item 2 above, I have already hit a problem. The main driver for this was so the Table containing the IP Addresses etc for all the devices in the system would not exist under a particular project but instead in a Top-level design document, which covered everything. Unfortunately Table 2 of the River System Software Design Specification doesn't just include networkable devices, it also covers sensors and valves etc.

Can I have your thoughts on how we would like to do this so the right information appears in the right places with the minimum of duplication (and therefore risk of data getting out of step)?

My initial idea is that Table 2 of the River System Software Design Specification shouldn't list IP Addresses but simply refer out to the WMT Network Design Spec for each relevant device. Any better ideas?
Terry
hamishmb

Re: WMT Network Design and Development

Post by hamishmb »

How about an "overall" design that links to the sub-designs for other projects (eg river system network design) for more details?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Yes. I was coming round to thinking in that direction.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hi,

I've produced a document called 'WMT Network: System Design Specification' and attached the first draft to this posting.

What I have tried to do is describe the design and configuration of the existing network and showed the proposed design and configuration for known additions that are expected to be added in the coming months. My aim was to treat this as purely network spec, so there is nothing in there about the Socket names or anything that is project specific; what it does include is the location, device type, IP Address, hostname and the current status of each device.

I will probably leave the River System Software Design Spec as it is for the time being and update it to refer to this spec the next time we need to make changes to it.

Please let me know if you have any comments.
Attachments
WMT_Network_System_Design_Iss_0.1.odt
(274.52 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello

I raised the proposal to connect all (or as many as we see it fit to) the WMT RPis to the network as yesterday's board meeting, explaining the rationale as our ability to maintain the various WMT client systems remotely.

The board are happy to support the proposal and expressed their gratitude for the work you guys have done both at WMT and remotely on behalf of WMT.

With this support now in place I'd like you, if you can, to put together a costed items list of the things we need to procure in order to cover the next phase of the expansion of the network to cover the railway room, Minster bells and tiny TVs. Happy to have a call to discuss if that would be of assistance.

Penri
Penri

Post by Penri »

I need to spend a little more time on spec. but I've run out of time today. Please see initial suggestions.
WMT_Network_System_Design_Iss_0.2.odt
(273.35 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Thanks Penri.

I hadn't realised that the Switch behind the Lady Hanham Building was a rack-mount type. That means that one of the 5-Port Switches listed should be removed.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Just had a read through. Looks good to me, aside from a few typos in Penri's edits.

I'm surprised there are going to be this many pis on the network! However, I guess I don't really follow the rest of the stuff going on at WMT, besides reading a few forum topics.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

The VPN Server was the trigger! Although it was originally envisaged to ease the lockdown issues, it opens up enormous potential for the other Projects out there.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

This reminds me of something. I'll post in the VPN server topic soon :)
Hamish