Integrating the Stage and Lady Hanham Butts Devices into the System

Sub-forum to hold jobs lists
hamishmb

Re: Integrating the Stage and Lady Hanham Butts Devices into the System

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, number 8 and 9 can now be ticked off. Next we need to do 13: Power up and update the Stage gate valve.

This is so we can deploy Patrick's algorithm for the Stage butts. I don't think we yet have algorithms for the other sites, but if the stage algorithm works well (and I have no doubt it will), then perhaps we can persuade Patrick to write us some more algorithms :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 03/09/2020, 12:03Okay, number 8 and 9 can now be ticked off.
Done.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, next up is powering up the Stage gate valve and bringing it up to date. If you want to do that, Terry, I can update Sump Pi with some improved software at the same time.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 07/09/2020, 10:06Okay, next up is powering up the Stage gate valve and bringing it up to date. If you want to do that, Terry, I can update Sump Pi with some improved software at the same time.
Hamish,

Your query is a little ambiguous. I'm assuming that you asking me if powering up the Gate Valve is the next step, not asking me to do it? :)

If the former, I would be happy to do the OS Updates once it has been powered on by Penri (presumably tomorrow).

This is actually Step 13 of the Jobs List. I assume we are still hoping that Patrick's code will become available soon?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yeah, I meant to ask you to install the updates :)

Patrick's code is nearly ready, but we only have an algorithm for the Stage butts. I think there must have been a miscommunication somewhere about what algorithm(s) were being worked on. However, his code is very impressive so if it works well and he's keen, we can always ask him to write more algorithms for us :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 07/09/2020, 10:30Patrick's code is nearly ready, but we only have an algorithm for the Stage butts. I think there must have been a miscommunication somewhere about what algorithm(s) were being worked on. However, his code is very impressive so if it works well and he's keen, we can always ask him to write more algorithms for us :)
I kind of assumed that once the Stage Butts algorithm is working it would form the basis of the algorithm for the Lady Hanham SAC. Probably Steps 11 and 12 should have been transposed.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yes, I think you're right. A lot of it looks quite portable by design. Better late than never I suppose :)

However, what is good is that the system is working now with the NAS box integrated. While it did take a couple of hours on the day to fix a few issues, I reckon we all deserve a good pat on the back for that :)
Hamish
PatrickW

Post by PatrickW »

The Stage Butts algorithm is "finished" and superficially working, and it could in theory be merged at this point, depending on the appetite for risk. I am in the process of making sure it has unit test coverage, which is showing up a few bugs here and there. When I've done that, I'll call it finished without scare quotes.

I did make some (adjustable) assumptions about what the water level will be in a "full" or "empty" state and about how far open the valve needs to be for different rates of water transfer. Hopefully these are good assumptions, but if need be they are intended to be tweaked after it is up and running.

I believed that I was supposed to be working on the Stage Pi algorithm, and then, once it was done, I would move on to the Lady Hanham SAC one, assuming that nobody else had beaten me to it. My implementation of the Stage Pi algorithm is based on a statetools module I wrote, which is supposed to provide a framework for writing arbitrary control logic based on a state model/state diagram.

I tend to be a depth-first learner, so hopefully the rest of the logic will come more quickly. :)
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Patrick,

Excellent news. I suggest you and Hamish liaise yo take it to the next stage.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

TerryJC wrote: 07/09/2020, 16:06 Patrick,

Excellent news. I suggest you and Hamish liaise to take it to the next stage.
Terry