VPN Client Apps and Tools

A project to provide VPN access to the River System Raspberry Pis to allow WMT Volunteers and Staff to log in from home. Triggered by the COVID19 lockdown
TerryJC

VPN Client Apps and Tools

Post by TerryJC »

I have started this Topic to provide a place for people to add their recommendations for VPN Client Apps and Tools on various platforms.

If you get something working (other than a simple SSH login), please post it here.
Terry
TerryJC

Re: VPN Client Apps and Tools

Post by TerryJC »

In the discussion in viewtopic.php?f=38&t=230&start=20 I briefly gave instructions on how to install/import the user Cert Packs into Linux, and to a lesser extent, iOS. After that it was left up to the user to decide what to do with the connection that they obtained.

In Linux the simplest approach is to simply SSH into the remote host, but that only provides a bash console to manipulate the files etc. Then I remembered snowflake. The description of this in the Ubuntu Repository says:
Snowflake is a modern graphical SSH client which provides simple easy to use GUI for common tasks
For Linux versions that do not support it in their Repository, the GitHub repository is at: https://github.com/subhra74/snowflake/, where you can download the latest version.

I used this briefly at WMT and found it to be quite useful. With a single login the user gets, amongst other tools, a file browser (with icons), a text editor, a log viewer and a search tool. You can even open a terminal if you want to. It may be worth checking this out if you prefer to use a GUI to access files on the Pis.
Terry