Documenting NAS box VM setup procedure

Holds topics that document the NAS box's features and any related procedures. Stuff in here should eventually make it into a specification or the user guide.
hamishmb

Documenting NAS box VM setup procedure

Post by hamishmb »

So it's getting to the stage where it'd be useful to have a NAS box VM I think, so we can test my database changes using Terry's hardware rather than just my completely-virtual system. This would mean using a combination of physical pis and a virtual database server, but it's not as complicated to set up as one might think.

I'm thinking of making and documenting a proper procedure for creating the NAS box VM, but where should this procedure go?
Hamish
TerryJC

Re: Documenting NAS box VM setup procedure

Post by TerryJC »

We already have a section in the Installation Spec called 'Virtualisation' with an associated Annex called 'Using Virtual Machines to Test the Software - Creating the Virtual Machines'. In that Annex there is a Heading 'Creating the NAS Box VM'. Would this new description be any different to that?

You can see the latest version in the fileserver at https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... stallation.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I see. It'll need to be updated a bit - the river system software needs to run on it as well. Perhaps I could also provide commands to get everything installed.

We could probably also start off with the same base image used for the Pi VMs - it's really not particularly different.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

If you look in Section 5.2 of the Installation Spec, you will see that there is a diagram which shows the hardware test rig. I think that your VM would need to be integrated into that.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yes that would make sense. I'm not sure how to edit that image though - is there a source file for it?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Yes. I have it here. I'll update it if you confirm that the machine running the NAS Box VM is simply connected to the Switch.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yeah, it's just connected to the switch. There would be a little bit of virtual networking stuff going on, but (I think?) that's outside the scope of the diagram?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Yes. I'll just need the procedure for creating the VM. I'll create a new Annex (or two if they are needed); Using a Virtual Machine to Test the Hardware.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

All right. I'll get to making that soon. Should I author the changes or would you prefer for me to stick the additions in this thread?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

It really depends how much there will be. If it's more than (say) Half a page, it's probably better if you drop it into a new Annex at the end of the document, post it back here, and I''ll merge the changes into V0.10 which I have here.
Terry