SITE MAP

A forum to organise work carried out by Canford School students
Penri

Re: SITE MAP

Post by Penri »

Hello

Please find attached a potion of the site plan with river features picked out, this is orientated with North as the top of the image. I removed a lot of detail from the original plan and softened what remains so the river features stand out
Water system v02.jpg
Water system v02.jpg (298.11 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
But before you get stuck into doing a drawing, try to get a picture in your mind of what you'd like to achieve, if you have a project partner on board bounce a few ideas around.

Do some research on "You are here" or "visitor" maps (try Googling and look are the images), pick out examples that you think could work, then develop the concept from there.

What I see in my mind's eye, putting myself in the visitor's position is a simplified "map" of what I see in front of me at the model town, with enough information to orientate myself against and overlaid on that information about the river system to allow me to gain an understanding of what's going on and how it works.

On the attachment itself things I think need doing:
Exaggerate the size of the sump so the two pumps or pump icons associated can shown at a readable size.
Apart from the river itself most of the water system components, valves, butts, etc. are hidden to the general public so their sizes can the exaggerated and their positioning adjusted.

Questions, queries, suggestion, post them here!

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Aman,

When you consider Penri's suggestions, can I also suggest that the identity of the key buildings be added, such as the Cafe, the Lady Hanham Building and the Model Railway Room. This will help both visitors and staff to orient themselves to where they are standing. Also, I'm not sure it remains on the map that Penri has provided, but the model Minster (in the faded area to the left) is a landmark that cannot be missed.

Have fun. :D
Terry
Aman

Post by Aman »

This is what i have done - what do you think?
Attachments
wimborne model map.docx
(853.22 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello Aman

I think this is a definite improvement but needs further work.

I've made some comments on the detail of your sketch in the attached document, I don't have Word so could not easily edit the .docx file therefore i've overlaid the comments on the sketch.

When you've made the changes pass the sketch on to your colleagues working on the icon, so you all can see how the map and icon work together.

As I suggested in my posting above you should do some Google research on visitor /" you are here" maps and post some example of things that you think might work for the model town.

One more suggestion. In all engineering disciplines, in particular in S?W development, version control is a very hot subject and something very difficult to live without. So you will find people like me, Terry and Hamish putting a version or issue number against a file name, thing like v01, v02, ... so that we can tell if something has changed between two seemingly similar things. Can I ask that you consider doing the same, please.

Penri
Attachments
Comments on wimborne model map v02.pdf
(68.86 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Aman

Post by Aman »

Is this better?
Attachments
wimborne model map v 2.docx
(906.92 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Aman

Post by Aman »

Also I don't get what you mean by post examples of things that might work for the model town?
Penri

Post by Penri »

Aman

This version is a further improvement, thank you, the Minster looks much more appropriate and I like the style you've used. There's a fix required on the locations and relative sizes of the Lady Hanham and Railway room but that's fairly easy to sort.

What I'd like you to do is to take a look at the files I've attached as examples of the way maps have been simplified to make them more accessible to visitors while still pointing out the attractions the designers want you to see.They are the sort of things I meant, by the way, can you find anything you would regard as more appropriate for a Model Town?

Wakefield.pdf
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
longleat_park_map_spring_2020.pdf
(806.47 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
london_tourist_map.pdf
(281.54 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Your symbol for the Minster works for me stylistically and with some tweaks it be made into something that is recognisably the Minster, it might also work for the Model Town's Methodist Chapel. Did you draw it yourself or was it from a clipart library? either way can you modify it and are these similarly styled images we could use for: shops, banks, post boxes, telephone kiosks, public toilets, pubs, etc.

We're making progress, keep it up and thank you.

Penri
Aman

Post by Aman »

I can modify it (i think), and yes i can make other symbols. How would you like me to modify it?
Aman

Post by Aman »

Also, id the lady hanham building bigger or smaller than the railway room
Aman

Post by Aman »

I added the hearing the phone ring, the toilets and the car park
Attachments
wimborne model map v 3.docx
(951.39 KiB) Downloaded 77 times