Further Integration with the River System

Discussion forum about Wimborne Model Town's Town Quiz Web Server.
TerryJC

Further Integration with the River System

Post by TerryJC »

During last Winter the River System network was integrated with the Audio Guide and Quiz Webserver, as detailed in viewtopic.php?f=9&t=197. This has worked well and has been operational since October of last year. Apart from connecting the two networks together, a second Outdoor WiFi Antenna was installed and this improved WiFi coverage for visitors and allowed the team to dispense with a separate WiFi Access Point installed in the Wendy Street IP65 Box.

When the lock-down began site access for all but a few staff was stopped and it was decided that a VPN Server should be installed on the Webserver Pi. This Topic documents the changes needed to the Webserver Pi software that is not specifically part of the VPN Server Installation and covers any additional work that comes to light.

Installation of the VPN Server is covered at viewforum.php?f=38.
Terry
TerryJC

Re: Further Integration with the River System

Post by TerryJC »

Over the past week I have created an upgraded version of the Webserver software. I initially tried to update and upgrade a copy of the SD Card that had been upgraded to Raspbian Buster in August of last year. This however, failed due to some anomaly in IPTables. Rather than mess around with the reason for the failure, I decided to start again from scratch using the latest version of the Installation Specification at https://wmtprojectsforum.altervista.org ... ion%20Spec. One or two things came to light during this exercise and it was necessary to update the Installation Spec to reflect these issues. This updated document will be published in due course, when the VPN server has been installed.

The following details are worth noting:
  • Although still based on Buster, the latest version of the OS is now called Raspberry Pi OS. This was released about a week ago.
  • There are now two weatherproof WiFi Antennas at WMT. The new one is identical to the first apart from its IP Address.
  • The tool raspi-config no longer allows '_' chars to be used in hostnames (it's against RFCs apparentl), so the Webserver's host name is now WMT-Webserver.
  • Either the browsers in Android and IPadOS or nginx have deprecated port 80 and http (I think both probably), so the port is now designated 8080.
  • The Captive Portal software nodogsplash has been changed considerably since 2017, with consequent changes to the config file. This took a fair bit of sorting out.
  • I installed the UPS Pico code, but couldn't fully test it because the only UPS Pico we have is fitted on site.
A backup of the new SD Card has been taken.
Terry