Shutting down and rebooting from web interface

Holds topics that document the NAS box's features and any related procedures. Stuff in here should eventually make it into a specification or the user guide.
hamishmb

Shutting down and rebooting from web interface

Post by hamishmb »

As a result of the swap file we now have, the web UI's shutdown and restart options just tend to make the NAS box hang.

The scripts that come with it do have a way to run a custom shutdown script on boot, but unfortunately it runs too late to be useful for us - it's already frozen by then. Instead, I have made us some custom reboot and shutdown scripts that we can run through SSH/from the river control system code.

Is it okay that the web interface's options don't work? I could design a little interface to use my custom scripts instead and try to disable or redirect the standard ones.
Last edited by hamishmb on 27/05/2020, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Hamish
TerryJC

Re: Shutting down and rebooting from web interface

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 27/05/2020, 16:04Is it okay that the web interface's options don't work? I could design a little interface to use my custom options instead and try to disable or redirect the standard ones.
Hamish,

When you say 'web interface's options' are you referring to the D-Link web interface? If so, I can't see that it matters much. I presume that you are talking about the web UI's shutdown and restart options and not all the other configuration pages?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yes, it's only D-Link's shutdown and reboot options. All the other pages are working just fine.

To be fair, I guess shutting it down or rebooting would be a rare occurrence - and we probably don't want logging into D-Link's UI anyway.

Would a simple web interface to use my scripts be worth making, or is this just a non-issue?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

SSH will be fine. We just need to document the fact that the D-Link version won't work.

I don't suppose we could put up a substitute page that comes up when the User tries to view the D-Link page to warn them that the interface has been changed? It could be as simple as an alternative background image with the Warning in red across it.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yeah, I can probably figure that out, will see what I can come up with.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Sadly, it seems the pages are generated with CGI scripts on the NAS box (in this case compiled code that I don't think we have the source for) instead of eg PHP, so I can't really modify them. My plan B was just creating a file called "index.html" or "index.php" in the root of the web server's directory, but that doesn't seem to work either for some reason, and it just displays the login page instead.

This could be solved with me trying to put some more time into it and even maybe recompiling or decompiling the CGI scripts, but I'm not sure that's a good use of time. Perhaps some solid documentation will suffice? Thoughts?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Just stick to SSH.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yep :lol:

Where should I document this procedure?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I'll put it in the Installation Spec. Later, it will have to go in the User Manual. I need to make a start on that anyway and there should be a complete Section on the NAS Box in any case. In the meantime, just put it here and I'll sweep everything up when I do the User Manual; we are near enough to having a complete (if not yet fully realised) system to do it.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay makes sense and will do.
Hamish