Documenting the NAS box and related setup procedures

A forum for discussion on the software for the WMT River Control System
hamishmb

Re: Documenting the NAS box and related setup procedures

Post by hamishmb »

I would have though so as well, but it doesn't seem to - it wasn't assigned anything by my router, instead giving itself a different 169.254.*.* address every time is disconnected and reconnected the ethernet cable.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I realised I forgot to add that after disabling the built-in SSH server you can simply log in with "ssh [email protected]" and add more keys the same way. Worth adding?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 14/05/2020, 10:43I would have though so as well, but it doesn't seem to - it wasn't assigned anything by my router, instead giving itself a different 169.254.*.* address every time is disconnected and reconnected the ethernet cable.
OK that makes some kind of sense. From the Internet:
169.254. X.X – Represents a “self-assigned IP address”, which a device will assign itself if it is unable to receive an IP address from a DHCP server.
I presume that you aren't running a DHCP Server on your closed network? If you were then it would be assigned an IP Address within your network's range. Page 58 of the Manual talks about this.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Nope, we're using a DHCP server which assigns addresses in the 192.168.1.* range, it just refused to use it for some reason.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 14/05/2020, 10:48I realised I forgot to add that after disabling the built-in SSH server you can simply log in with "ssh [email protected]" and add more keys the same way. Worth adding?
Did you re-order the Sections? It totally confused me because the Section Numbering has got messed up a bit and 'Disabling built-in SSH server' has been added as a major heading. I assume that the internal SSH Server can be disabled because you've installed a better one?

I'll add the bit about doing an SSH login.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I did, but I must have messed it up a bit and/or forgotten to update the index. Apologies for the confusion.

Yes, there's a better, more secure SSH server I cross-compiled for it, so we should use that instead, but the keys must be set up first so we can log in, hence the re-ordering as things must be done in the right order for it to work.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. I'll make sure that is clear in the final version.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

On several occasions you have referred to the 'administration password', but you haven't mentioned how to set it up. Looking at the Manual, it looks like this is done the first time the NAS Box is booted after a Reset to Factory Settings (it's blank initially). Is that right?

If so, we need to define an administrator password for future logins (and for logins to the Box that is in use). (Did we agree on anything?)
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I actually never set that up - I'm still using the password you initially set. I guess we should agree on a password and I'll document the procedure.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 14/05/2020, 12:37I actually never set that up - I'm still using the password you initially set. I guess we should agree on a password and I'll document the procedure.
I can't even remember what that password was!

I'm happy to document the procedure, but could you send me a screenshot of the 'Create a New Password for Your NAS' page? The one in the Manual is a bit naff.

I was going to suggest putting the password in the Manual, but if we end up providing remote access that might not be a good idea, since this Spec will be on a publicly accessible server (the same applies to the password for the Pis). It was all OK as long as physical access was needed to login to the devices, but remote access is just a bit too risky.

The next question will be; where do we store the passwords? The usual way is on a piece of paper in the company safe, but I don't even know if WMT even has a safe!
Terry