Re: Documenting the NAS box and related setup procedures

Post by TerryJC »

Done.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

Here is my effort at doing the last two topics; 'Building the Cross-compiler' and 'Adding SSH Keys'.

Can you review what I've done and let me know what I may have left out or misunderstood? I've changed the words a bit to move the use of 'I', 'we' and 'you', but otherwise I think it should be largely inline with what is on the relevant Web Pages.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Installation_Specification_Iss_0.9(TJC).odt
(133.03 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

I'll have a look tomorrow but sounds good. I'll then merge it with my changes and post them. My apologies as I meant to post mine today, but it's been a bit of a washout.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

As soon as I get the merged copy, I'll give the whole document the once-over and publish it.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Looks good, I'll make a few modifications to the SSH bit for the NAS box, and fix some of my typos, and then upload the combined thing here for review.

Side note: I haven't been able to figure out how you change the background for your code/commands. How do I do that?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 14/05/2020, 9:27Side note: I haven't been able to figure out how you change the background for your code/commands. How do I do that?
Select the Style 'Code'.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Attached is the combined document. I rearranged things a little bit to make it easier to do everything in the right order.

While amending the SSH instructions, I realised that the NAS box doesn't have your public key installed Terry, so could you email me your public key (~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) and I'll add it.
Attachments
WMT_River_System_Installation_Specification_Iss_0.9(combined).odt
(921.86 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 14/05/2020, 10:16Attached is the combined document. I rearranged things a little bit to make it easier to do everything in the right order.
Thanks. I'll review it and upload it to the fileserver.
hamishmb wrote: 14/05/2020, 10:16While amending the SSH instructions, I realised that the NAS box doesn't have your public key installed Terry, so could you email me your public key (~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) and I'll add it.
I actually sent it to you last October :)

I'll forward it to you again.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

In the initial notes that you added in Section 4.4.6, you state that:
After a factory reset, the software cd may be need to be run .... On a computer running Windows XP or higher to perform initial setup of the NAS box, as the IP address is random.
I suspect that the IP Address isn't random (although the box seems to have some kind of nameserver so in theory it could be). I would expect it to use DHCP. Do you agree?
Terry