Summary of meeting 4/7/2017

A forum for discussing/summarising the meetings we hold at WMT. Also a good place for general discussion.
hamishmb

Summary of meeting 4/7/2017

Post by hamishmb »

Hi all,

I have provided a quick summary here of our meeting, in a bullet-list to keep it clear and simple. I have also sent a link to this via email :)

Discussed during the meeting:
  • Power Installation for the test system for the probes.
  • Where it is to be installed.
  • Changes to the software to enable this system.
  • When the system will be installed.
  • Basic principles for the design of the flow sensor.
  • How the flow sensor will be installed.
  • How the sensor will communicate with a raspberry pi and where said raspberry pi may be installed.
  • How we can organise the collaboration with Queen Elizabeth School.
  • How and when our temporary sensor setup will be installed.
  • Installing a proper gate by the water butt system.
  • The design of a prototype boat for the flow sensor.
If I have forgotten anything above, please let me know.

From this discussion, we have decided that:
  • The temporary sensor system will use a resistance probe, and will be installed near the sump under one of the houses nearby.
    • The resistance probe software (my version) will be modified to suit this installation.
    • Terry will ideally test this software before installation.
    • The power system for this installation will be performed on Thursday the 6th of July.
    • The power system will not utilise PoE (Power Over Ethernet).
    • A Real time clock is not required and will not be provided.
    • A desk with a keyboard and monitor will be used to configure the system in the early morning.
    • The system will use a large SD card is read-write mode to store the sensor data.
    • The monitoring software will be configured to start on boot (when the user logs in).
    • A UPS is not required for this installation and will not be provided.
    • The installation will be performed on Tuesday the 11th of July before 10AM (opening time).
    • The system shall be left to run until further notice.
  • A gate will be put in by the water butt installation (date undecided).
  • We will need to upgrade the first length of pipe running from the main pump to the bog garden (date undecided).
  • A prototype version of the flow sensor boat will be made (date undecided).
Additionally:
  • We are to have a meeting so I can go over how to use the forums and subscribe to forums on Tuesday. I don't have a laptop, so can one person please bring their laptop so I can go over it with you please? Thanks :)
If there are any decisions anybody wants to discuss, we should discuss below to keep it all in one place :)

Hamish
Last edited by hamishmb on 04/07/2017, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Hamish
TerryJC

Re: Summary of meeting 4/7/2017

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote:
  • The power system will utilise PoE (Power Over Ethernet).
I thought that PoE was a future development. As I understood it, the Pi, with the interfacing buffers board will be installed in the shop adjacent to the sump and powered from a mains socket, (provided by Penri on Thursday). Penri will also provide an additional socket for the monitor.
hamishmb wrote:
  • We are to have a meeting so I can go over how to use the forums and subscribe to forums on Tuesday. I don't have a laptop, so can one person please bring their laptop so I can go over it with you please? Thanks :)
I will bring a laptop.
Terry
hamishmb

Re: Summary of meeting 4/7/2017

Post by hamishmb »

You're right, I mis-remembered that. Okay, I've now changed the summary.
Hamish