Email Issues

Where announcements for eg scheduled downtime shall be made.
wmtprojectsforum
Amministratore

Email Issues

Post by wmtprojectsforum »

Hi,

It has come to my attention that email features on this board are not working as expected, in some cases intermittently or with a delay, other times not at all.

I have sent out a test email to all users to try to check that it works. It may have landed in your spam folder, so please check. If you receive the email, please let me know so I can test whether my changes to the settings have worked :)
Penri

Re: Email Issues

Post by Penri »

Hello Hamish,

I received an e-mail telling me about this notification, it arrived at 16:09; subsequently I received another (e-mail), entitled Testing the email system, that arrived at 16:34.

A little while ago I did have email issues until I added WMT Development Forum to my contacts list, but that may be a Mac thing, but it works for me now.

Thanks, hwyl

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Hamish,

Hopefully you received my reply a couple of days ago.

In my view the biggest problem with email notifications is remembering to check 'Notify me when a reply is posted' the first time you post in a Topic. The second biggest problem is knowing that a new Topic has been created; I only spotted this topic a few minutes ago!

We talked briefly about this when you first implemented the Forum, but agreed that we should wait and see what happens on the grounds that there would be too much traffic if everyone got everything.

I think that there should be a small change however, so that people can be made aware of new posts that they previously had no involvement in. I don't know if there is something that you could do at the admin level, but if not, then maybe an announcement could be made when a new Topic is created, so that users could then decide if they wanted to subscribe?
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hi,

As discussed in the meeting, I got your emails, and we will meet again shortly to discuss this :)

Terry - Are the emails going to your spam possibly?

Hamish
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote:Terry - Are the emails going to your spam possibly?
No. Definitely not. I have my own mailserver as part of my domain and run the system using IMAP. This means that my emails arrive at any device that has an email client, (eg, my PC, my laptop, my phone and the webmail interface of course). Even if the messages were going to spam at my PC, they will still exist on the server and they don't.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Okay, I shall discuss this with you when we meet :)
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello Hamish

Can you confirm that the forum re-organisation would have altered topic subscriptions, it has just struck me that it would most likely be the case but I hadn't anticipated it? By this I mean that the newly created Hardware and Software discussion, because they are new, would need to be subscribed too before notifications on topics that existed before the re-organisation, but in the main topic area, would come through.

If you've already told us about this, I apologise for not listening.

Hwyl

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hi,

Yep, you need to subscribe to all new forums, but probably also un-and-re-subscribe to the old ones too :) I did note it in the maintenance forum, but never mind :)

Hamish
Hamish
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello Hamish

I received this from David Allen, our principal contact at Canford School, can you advise me on what my replay should be, please.

Hi Penri,

Happy New Year to you. I hope you had a good one - we were in Cardiff this year which is always fun!

Thank you for this information. I will pass it on to the boys when they get back to school (Wed 10th Jan).

I did try to register an account with the forum both yesterday and just now - I got as far as a page that says I will be emailed an activation key .... but nothing has be emailed through. I did try my junk email but nothing is in there as well.

Are you able to shed any light on it?

Hwyl

Penri
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Hi,

I will activate his account for him, seeing as that didn't work. If I can't do that, I will re-send the activation email to him. I'll start diagnosing soon, but I have to finish something else first.

Hamish
Hamish