Documentation Uploaded

Discussion forum about Wimborne Model Town's Town Quiz Web Server.
TerryJC

Documentation Uploaded

Post by TerryJC »

The documentation for the code currently running in the WMT Minster and the WMT Audio Guide and Quiz has now been uploaded to the Development Server and may be accessed at http://www.hadrian-way.co.uk/WMT_Minster_Bells/
Terry
TerryJC

Re: Documentation Uploaded

Post by TerryJC »

I have updated the Installation Specification for the Bells and Webserver to include detailed instructions on how to set up the Wireless AP and Webserver. I have attached the draft version to this posting.

The changes are all in Section 6.2.3. If someone could spare the time to check this section for spelling, grammar and general understand-ability I will release it at V 2.0.

NB. There is currently a bug in LibreOffice which causes it to crash when an attempt is made to export a document, so I can't make a PDF file of it yet. The bug has been reported and confirmed and is filed as bug #1751783.
Attachments
WMR_2016-17_Enhancements_Installation_Specification_Iss_1.1.odt
(36.04 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Hello Terry

I read through the document and found it eminently readable, with contents that ought to give a future developer a leg up in getting to grips with the subject matter, even if I wouldn't know where to start. As is my way I couldn't resist the odd tracked change comment, happy for you to use, discard or us to discuss.

See you tomorrow,

Penri
Attachments
WMR_2016-17_Enhancements_Installation_Specification_Iss_1.2.odt
(39.91 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Penri,

As discussed this morning, I have accepted most of your changes and added a few new ones, which I had forgotten about. I'll release this document when the outcome of the SSL exercise is known (see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59&p=996#p996).
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

As of today, the SSL exercise is awaiting a response from the WMT Website contractor, so I have completed the changes and included V1.3 here.

Penri,

I didn't ignore your previous comment about splitting the document into two; one for the Bells and one for the Webserver. However, the implications of doing this need to be understood before I do it.

This project commenced with a set of requirements that grew out of a couple of requests by Greg and the Trustees. It was all carried out during the Winter Maintenance period 2016/17 and so the Requirement Spec grew from those two requests. Since the Requirement Spec was a single document, all the other documents were similarly combined.

If I split the Installation Spec into two, then in all honesty I should do the same for the User Manual, which is similarly put together. We could probably argue that the Design Spec could be left as it is, but it could be considered to be equally confusing as a combined document.

As a result, I've made no attempt to split this document until all interested parties have had a chance to comment.
Attachments
WMT_2016-17_Enhancements_Installation_Specification_Iss_1.3.odt
(42.17 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Terry
Penri

Post by Penri »

Terry

Understood.

Penri
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

I have now updated the User Manual for the Bells and Webserver System. Please find the first draft of the updates attached.

The comments about splitting the Installation Specification apply to this too.
Attachments
WMR_2016-17_Enhancements_User_Manual_Iss_1.1.odt
(12.83 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

In the light of the work carried out on the Webserver hardware and software, I have updated the Installation Specification. I have taken cognisance of the comments raised on the versions that I posted in February and March, in particular by splitting the document into distinct sections for the Minster Bells, the Webserver and the Common Items.

Since the changes have been so extensive, I have removed all change marks, but the changes to the section on the Minster Bells system and Common Items have been minimal, most of the updates have been in the Webserver section as you would expect.

Could people spare the time to comment on this? I don't expect detailed comments on the minutia of shell commands and Config file entries; clearly the only poeple who could possibly comment on this are those that have themselves performed this setup or something similar. What I am looking for is whether it is readable and grammatically correct.

Included in the document are references to the 'Project Archives' on GitLab. Obviously they don't exist yet, but I will need to create them before this document is fully released.

Hamish, Can you walk me through this on Tuesday if we have time (if not during the morning, then perhaps we can do it at the LUG Meeting?
Attachments
WMT_2016-17_Enhancements_Installation_Specification_Iss_1.4.odt
(44.4 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

On a related note, I intend to update the Design Specification and the User Manual in due course, to reflect the hardware changes to the Webserver.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

As mentioned above, here is the updated Design Specification for the Minster Bells and Webserver. As with the Installation Spec, I've split the document into new sections called Minster Bells, Webserver and Common Items instead of just Hardware and Software. This time I stopped recording changes while I did the splitting and then I then turned change recording back on and added the new features; Powerline Adaptors and additional Ethernet port in the Webserver Hardware Section and NoDogSplash features and routing in the Webserver Software Section. There is a new System Diagram in Annex F. I hope it makes some sort of sense.

Please have a look if you have time.
Attachments
Wimborne_Model_Town_2016-17_Enhancements-Design_Iss_1.1.odt
(269.96 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Terry