Meeting with Canford School students 2019-10-14 (software)

A forum for discussing/summarising the meetings we hold at WMT. Also a good place for general discussion.
hamishmb

Meeting with Canford School students 2019-10-14 (software)

Post by hamishmb »

I thought it would be good to write a summary of the software-side meeting. I didn't hear much about the hardware so I can't really cover that.

Today, Terry, Philip and I discussed the system in general, and Philip demonstrated his progress with gnuplot in generating graphs. More specifically:
  • Philip showed us his (impressive) graphs and the code used to generate them from the readings files.
  • We discussed dropping the "0 mm" reading once we've got the start-up sequence implemented.
  • We discussed speed requirements.
    • There aren't any strict requirements because gnuplot is pretty quick even on the NAS box.
    • We can generate at least some of the graphs ahead of time (strategy not yet decided).
  • The format for the readings when pulled out of the database will be very similar to the readings.csv files - this seems to be a good format.
  • We discussed how to integrate gnuplot with the framework - we can just launch a subprocess for this.
I'm sure there are other points I missed. Feel free to add anything you think of.
Hamish