General Software Improvements (2nd October 2019 onwards)

Sub-forum for general software improvements threads
hamishmb

Re: General Software Improvements (2nd October 2019 onwards)

Post by hamishmb »

I don't know - I never added V1 to the configuration for Sump Pi. My guess is as good as yours - why not just add it?

On Sump Pi (and the other pis) you'll need mysqlclient installed (https://pypi.org/project/mysqlclient/). I don't know if there's a Raspbian package but I imagine there probably is. If not PyPI should do.

Previously the valve system ID for the pi would be V1, as well as the device ID for the physical valve. Now, the system ID is VALVE1, but the device ID remains the same as V1. Does that make sense?

Merging the changes is not really doable at this point - the use-database code is incomplete and it would break master if I merged it, which is generally regarded as a no-no, especially with multiple people working on the project.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

OK. So to run the code from the master branch, I won't need mysqlclient, because that's only needed in use-database. Also the master branch does have V1, so I won't need to add it.

So really, I only need to pull from branch master and copy the rivercontrolsystem directory to my two Pis and that should allow me to test your new sockets code in a running system?

We can sort out the Testing directories and naming conventions later.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Yeah, that's right. With some luck, I'll be able to merge the use-database branch in the next few weeks anyway.

I will note though that the nee valve naming convention is the same one we agreed on the other week when we updated the database schema :)
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 30/05/2020, 12:37Yeah, that's right. With some luck, I'll be able to merge the use-database branch in the next few weeks anyway.

I will note though that the nee valve naming convention is the same one we agreed on the other week when we updated the database schema :)
I remember us agreeing it, but we don't need it yet, simply to test the new sockets code.
Terry
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

On a related topic, Raspbian has been upgraded in the past couple of days and is now called Raspberry Pi OS instead of Raspbian. It's not a major update (it's still based on Buster), so I will upgrade the two cards that I have here when i make the changes to system ID etc noted above.

In due course we will need to update all the cards on site (hopefully using the new VPN Server). :-)
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Sounds good. I must admit I preferred the old name :lol:

Yeah, once the router's changed it'll be good to get back to iteratively deploying stuff there.
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

Both SumpPi and Gate Valve V1 are now running the code that I just pulled from branch master. No unexpected errors but I haven't tweaked config.py, so SumpPi is complaining about missing peers, but that's to be expected.

I'll leave it to run for a few hours (or a few days, if I don't need the hardware) to see if anything emerges.
Terry
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

Sounds good to me :)

Maybe should make a new thread soon - this one is getting long.
Hamish
hamishmb

Post by hamishmb »

NB: Terry, did the code run as expected?
Hamish
TerryJC

Post by TerryJC »

hamishmb wrote: 17/06/2020, 9:11NB: Terry, did the code run as expected?
Hamish,

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. It has run on and off since my original post on the 30th. I must confess, in the past week or two I haven't left it running because I've been focused on the VPN integration.
Terry